Hobie Outback Trolling Rod Setup - 30 dollars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobie Outback Trolling Rod Setup - 30 dollars

After taking out the Outback last Friday, I did not like the stock flush mount rod holders for trolling. With couple hours free time today, I was able to put together this setup based on a setup that came with my used Revolution 11.

My first attempt at a DIY video...

There are total of 5 rod holders - 2 "lateral" and 3 vertical. I plan to troll using the "lateral" rod holders.

2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Question - does anyone recommend how to melt PVC? I want to bend the opening like the commercial rod holder opening.

Also, I want to be able to cut out a slip on the rod holders so the spinning rods sits flushed.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Get a heat gun, their cheap. Heat up the end of your pipe and slide it down over a beer bottle. Hold for a few seconds and then set it in a bucket of water to cool. There are plenty of videos on YouTube University how to do it and cut the slit in the pipe.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
        Get a heat gun, their cheap. Heat up the end of your pipe and slide it down over a beer bottle. Hold for a few seconds and then set it in a bucket of water to cool. There are plenty of videos on YouTube University how to do it and cut the slit in the pipe.
        Found it! Thank you! Seems straight forward.

2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

My home-made PVC rod holder is what I use- all the expensive ones I bought don't see much, if any use- the "rocket launcher" tubes are what I set my two rods in for trolling- they are right next to my seat and are plenty stiff to take the strain of a hard strike...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Looks good, a lot of us have made our own versions of similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
              Looks good, a lot of us have made our own versions of similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Cool... thanks! I will test it this weekend.
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
              X