White Perchin At Taylor's Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Perchin At Taylor's Island

I drove down to Taylor's Island on 6/8 for the day to target Speckled Trout and White Perch(my second fishing trip of the year). I didn't account for the very high tide with the full moon, and had to improvise from my usual launching point.

I started off by targeting White Perch on my light tackle rod, 50 yards from the launch point and I hooked on to my first big speckled trout of the year and lost it at the kayak as I forgot my net in my truck ... I ended up paddling back to the launch point to get my net...

I found a deep channel drop off and anchored a few yards from it, the next 3 hours was exciting, caught 131 white perch(mostly 9") back to back to back... mixed in with several 16-18 inch stripers. Kept the 11"-13" White Perch for future meals. I got to the point that white perch fishing was getting boring, and went to search for those gator Specks. After 2 hours and no Specks in sight, dropped a few crab trot lines and it was irritating the huge amount of crabs slightly below the 5" mark. Caught 9 decent size crabs and called it a day.

It was a great day especially for my second fishing trip of the year on the bay, possibly heading further south to find these elusive Gator Specks Thursday. Anyone know any fishing reports for Crisfield?

image2.jpgimage3.jpg

What a great day, 11-13" perch, wow. Good job. Makes up for the inevitable skunks we all face.

Comment

Been targeting the elusive gator all around Crisfield this spring. Lots of specks on the 14-16 inch range. Lost one over 20" as it splashed/tailwalked right at the side of the yak. Our shallows are warming up fast, so I would not totally abandon your northerly search because I think some of our fish will be moving to deeper waters here soon to beat the heat.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Looking forward to the annual arrival of the 18-27 inch redfish...and a few gator trout mixed in...the bigger trout seem to like XRaps in the XR10 size- I think this bigger size trout have switched their diet strictly to finger mullet and peanut bunker...we have been catching the 14-16 inch fish but so far the big trout have been few and far between...the old adage of big bait; big fish seem to apply...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          Been targeting the elusive gator all around Crisfield this spring. Lots of specks on the 14-16 inch range. Lost one over 20" as it splashed/tailwalked right at the side of the yak. Our shallows are warming up fast, so I would not totally abandon your northerly search because I think some of our fish will be moving to deeper waters here soon to beat the heat.
          I was thinking of heading to Lower Hoopers Island area to week instead to check out a couple of past areas I've caught Specks. Hopefully I will have success in search for that elusive gator.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Looking forward to the annual arrival of the 18-27 inch redfish...and a few gator trout mixed in...the bigger trout seem to like XRaps in the XR10 size- I think this bigger size trout have switched their diet strictly to finger mullet and peanut bunker...we have been catching the 14-16 inch fish but so far the big trout have been few and far between...the old adage of big bait; big fish seem to apply...
            I'm looking forward to the redfish as well, water temps definitely felt perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
              I was thinking of heading to Lower Hoopers Island area to week instead to check out a couple of past areas I've caught Specks. Hopefully I will have success in search for that elusive gator.
              That's north for me. That might be worth a trip.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Good report thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Crabs and fish... now that's a darn good day! 131?! I'd had lost count long before I got to that total
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X