Kent Island 6/9 - New Personal Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Island 6/9 - New Personal Best

Hit the same spot at Kent Island that I had success at last week and I managed to catch a new personal best rockfish (31"). I somehow messed up my phone while trying to get a photo of the first keeper of the day (just shy of 25") and the screen was black so I couldn't get any photos. On the way in a family out crabbing asked me how the fishing was so I asked if they would take a photo so I would at least have proof. Resolution is crap, but I'll take it.

With a couple of fish like that, you may assume I had them figured out. But that was not the case. In the same deep water (20') area I've been having success there was a crazy amount of bait with stripers busting at the surface. I trolled through and around with all different weights and sizes of jigheads/paddletails and hard plastic lures. I tried top water and jigging on the bottom and only caught 5 fish total despite the heavy feeding action. The first keeper was caught on a 1/4 or 3/8 oz jig and 6" zman paddletail. I threw it out and as soon as I started paddling the rod went down. After a while without a hit I had a revelation based on the first keeper that maybe a lightweight sinking like a stunned baitfish would trigger a strike. So I threw out the same combo and let it sink. Only a few seconds later the drag started screaming. I thought I was on to something, but 45 or so minutes more and I couldn't get another hit. I won't be complaining, though.

IMG951022.jpg
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Wow!! Congrats on the awesome catches!

The way you adapted, to present a bait that the fish were willing to take, is what makes a great fisherman! 👍👍🍻

Comment

wow... great report and congrats!
      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice, Kevin! I had a good morning today as well with over a dozen fish, including some quality ones, mostly on topwater. With the cool night last night, I was finding them in less than 3-4ft of water. Beautiful morning out on the water. I was on the water by 5:30 this AM and off by 9:30.
        Michael
        Washington, DC
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Well done bud!! Glad you hear you got into them.

Every time I think I have them figured out, they just laugh and laugh and do something completely different. Very humbling
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'm certainly learning to be adaptable. Jigheads and paddletails are so reliable I'm a bit lost when they don't work. I'm glad the fish stuck around to give me time to experiment.
            Originally posted by Rhino View Post
            Nice, Kevin! I had a good morning today as well with over a dozen fish, including some quality ones, mostly on topwater. With the cool night last night, I was finding them in less than 3-4ft of water. Beautiful morning out on the water. I was on the water by 5:30 this AM and off by 9:30.
            I'd love to get some topwater action. What lures were working for you? I tried what worked for me last fall, poppers and super spooks, but didn't get any takers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
              Thanks, guys. I'm certainly learning to be adaptable. Jigheads and paddletails are so reliable I'm a bit lost when they don't work. I'm glad the fish stuck around to give me time to experiment.

I'd love to get some topwater action. What lures were working for you? I tried what worked for me last fall, poppers and super spooks, but didn't get any takers.

Great Job,
              I've learned with breaking stripers, throw a 2-1/2", Helsinki Shad, Rapala Rippin' Rap Rattling Lipless Crankbait in middle of where they were busting through the water and 90% you get a bite. As soon as it hits the surface it sinks, imitating an injured fish. Any Rapala Raps are a must have in the tackle box, Helisinki Shad is my top color. I caught my personal best 39" Striper last year with a 3 1/2" Rapala Rippin' Rap Rattling Lipless Crankbait in middle of breaking stripers.

striper5.jpg

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post

Spooks, chug-n-spooks, and poppers all worked yesterday in the shallows along the shores. Something that chugs/pops is better if there's much chop, but if it's calm, spooks are effective. A bait that rattles help too. For me, this time of year, the topwater bite is a shorter window at dawn (and I assume dusk, but I fish dawn). However, yesterday the topwater bite lasted several hours; my guess is because the water temps were keeping the fish in the shallows, and the tide was ideal. In the fall last year, I had days when topwater worked all day long wherever the fish were.
                Michael
                Washington, DC
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Where'd you laugh fro on Kent Island?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Gregory
                  ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                  2014 Pro Angler 12
                  '

Comment

Nice fish