Annapolis for Beginners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annapolis for Beginners?

I'm thinking about making my first kayak trip into the bay in the Annapolis area this weekend. Can anyone recommend some beginner friendly spots? I'm strictly paddle if that helps recommending a place. Bonus points if you recommend a spot that an easily bored 5yo can play after he gets bored out on the kayak. Double bonus points if its an area where I can drop a couple crab pots and have a decent chance at catching dinner for the wife.

I've fished in the lower bay and didn't have any issues, but have never kayak fished in the Annapolis area.

Thanks in advance!
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Definitely try Jonas Green Park. Parking can get a bit tricky if you don't get there early, but if you get a spot on the lower lot, it's only a short walk (a cart would be good though) to the water/launch. I don't think they allow swimming there, but I think I remember a playground there at the park. Can't comment on crabbing, though I've certainly seen many crabbers working the opposite shoreline, along the docks. Fishing for perch is always pretty decent along those docks, and into weems creek, and you'll probably get your share of small throwback rockfish too. There will probably be a couple keepers mixed in, but in my experience, Jonas Green is a tough spot to get many fish about 18" from, but I'm far from an expert.

Comment

100% jonas green
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Not sure I'd suggest Jonas if you're taking a 5yo along. With school out and summer in full swing, the boat traffic can get heavy. I don't have any suggestions for you to take your son. I'm sure there are some better places for that kind of trip.

Comment

I appreciate all the responses. His safety definitely comes first, so if anything looks sketchy at all, he stays on shore. Hopefully Ill have something good to report on Monday!

Thanks again!
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I'm a big fan of Carr's wharf. It's pretty relaxed over there and you can explore. Mix of shallow and deeper waters with plenty of shore
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I would say truxton park in annapolis. Great place to crab, definitely can catch perch, maybe some stripers and the whole creek is a no wake zone. Also when your finished there is a playground for kids and all that good stuff.
              Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
              CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Annapolis for Beginners?

If your looking at being directly in the bay your going to be tough to do that in Annapolis. Most launches are in the rivers a good ways. In Pasadena both downs park and Smallwood both launch directly in bigger water and have a park where a child could run around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thehobielife View Post
                  I would say truxton park in annapolis. Great place to crab, definitely can catch perch, maybe some stripers and the whole creek is a no wake zone. Also when your finished there is a playground for kids and all that good stuff.
                  Ill have to keep that in mind. Managed a skunk at Jonas Green on Saturday. Between the boat wakes and the 10kt wind out of the sse, I felt like I was on a kayak treadmill. Took me over an hour to get out to the point, which is what my GPS says is ~2 miles. Couple that with not having so much as a clue as to what I'm doing and the lousy day was somewhat pre-determined. FWIW, out of everyone I talked to on the water and on the pier, the only catch was a 10" WP and an undersized crab so at least I wasn't alone with my lack of fish.

Oh well, live and learn. I do appreciate the replies and advice though.
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

+ 1 for Jonas Green. Some tips:

-- Fish the stone walls at the waters end for Perch. Cast parallel to the wall and bring in the lure. I have had the best luck with 1/4 oz or smaller spoons.

-- Be real careful crossing the Severn. On the weekdays, the waterman are great. Very nice, great to talk with, etc. On the weekend, lots of big pleasure boats. Most are nice, but a few are not careful.

-- For a good time ..... Turn left at Jonas Green Park. Cross the Severn, go under the bridge, go into College creek (e.g. the one going into the Naval academy). I never did good fishing there, but I enjoyed watching all the cadets and guests and so forth. Kind of cool.
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                      Ill have to keep that in mind. Managed a skunk at Jonas Green on Saturday. Between the boat wakes and the 10kt wind out of the sse, I felt like I was on a kayak treadmill. Took me over an hour to get out to the point, which is what my GPS says is ~2 miles. Couple that with not having so much as a clue as to what I'm doing and the lousy day was somewhat pre-determined. FWIW, out of everyone I talked to on the water and on the pier, the only catch was a 10" WP and an undersized crab so at least I wasn't alone with my lack of fish.

Oh well, live and learn. I do appreciate the replies and advice though.
                      Yah... I've had those days too. It will get better.

Best Regards,
                      Stan

Comment

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Sheltered water and good crabbing and perch fishing. No amenities there. The only river I know of without any Restaurants or Bars on it...that's a good thing...unless Mother nature calls...

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
                          ...unless Mother nature calls...

On my kayaking checklist, is a 'special cup'. At key times I paddle to private places (or out in the middle of something) and use it. I'm 61 years old with the bladder the size of a thimble.....

Best Regards,
                          Stan

Comment

Working...
                          X