Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fishing Around Private Piers & Docks: What is the Protocol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Around Private Piers & Docks: What is the Protocol?

I'm relatively new to saltwater kayaking. What is the protocol for fishing around privately owned docks and piers? I feel a little funny fishing around them because I feel like I'm encroaching on other people's property. The few times I've done it have basically been fishing my way down the river to a more open area.
    I'm not talking about floating up in between people's slips, more like casting around the pilings and edges.
    Is this an accepted practice, frowned on, or illegal? Regardless I wouldn't do if people were out on their own or a neighboring dock.

Thanks for all the great info I've picked up here. This site is a great resource.

The piers and docks are private property.
    For the most part, they are built with permission over the State's water.
    There are a few areas where the land rights extend out into- under the water, however, the water belongs to the State.

In theory, you can fish the area around them and under them with impunity.
    As long as you are not touching boats, and gear, you should be able to fish these, if you aren't bouncing lures off of hulls, and snagging items on the docks.

I avoid areas marked off where landowners set a swimming area for their kids, not wanting hooks in this sort of area is understandable.
    And, yes I have occasionally experienced irate property owners giving me the business about fishing around their property. Conceivably, they are guilty of "Sportsman Harassment."
    But most are quite friendly and ask how the fishing is.
    I just move on, there are plenty of docks to fish.
    Last edited by bignose; 06-08-2017, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I have to concur with most owners on the rivers south of Annapolis. Most are interested in how the fishing is and are pretty cool. Many have kayaks and might be interested in your rigging. Jet skiers are wayyyyyy more of a problem. Be careful of crab traps just left in the water. Lost a few spoon that way.
      PigPen - Mt Airy
      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
      X