Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaking Susquehanna Flats

Hi,

First post here. I am looking to fish the Bay for the first time. Would like to try the Susquehanna Flats. Any opinions on the best location to launch a kayak?

Thanks!

Perryville park would be the best place for you to launch. Kayak only and puts you right out onto the flats. You can launch at Tydings in Havre de Grace, as well, but there are a lot of boats and its a longer paddle to the flats. Only down side to Perryville is they don't open until 7:30 am (if you like to fish early) and the $8 toll if you have to cross the Susky to get there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
      Perryville park would be the best place for you to launch. Kayak only and puts you right out onto the flats. You can launch at Tydings in Havre de Grace, as well, but there are a lot of boats and its a longer paddle to the flats. Only down side to Perryville is they don't open until 7:30 am (if you like to fish early) and the $8 toll if you have to cross the Susky to get there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know of any good bait shops in that area?

Comment

Your choices are Walmart or Herbs both in North East on the Perryville side or Walmart in Aberdeen on the HDG side. I don't go near the flats on weekends too damn many inconsiderate boaters. Your much better trying it Mon - Thurs. Which place to launch depends on what part of the flats you want to fish as far as distance to paddle/peddle. Weekends for HDG I'll hit the Susky if they're not running too much water and launch at Lapidum or launch at the Am Trak bridge depending on the tides for this one.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. How is the fishing for striped bass and white perch up there?

Comment

Launching at lapidum tomorrow and Sunday morning around 5a.m.,if you are intrested,also don't know what area you are coming from but on Cecil side of dam at top of hill is liquor/grocery that sell bait and tackle they open at 8,as far as perch and stripers YES
            Last edited by blackjack; 06-09-2017, 10:31 AM.
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

Originally posted by epiceric View Post
              Thanks for the heads up. How is the fishing for striped bass and white perch up there?
              Fished wed evening for a couple of hours and only got 2 Schoolie Rockfish, though I fished just the beginning of the incoming tide before I went in. Though the bass fishing is a little bit better from what I have seen earlier. Also keep in mind that the at least one of the larger launch areas (Tydings Park, Anchor Marnina etc) typically have a bass tournament running out of them every weekend which means even more traffic above the normal summer weekend crowd at the ramp. I would do a quick search online to see where one is running and avoid launching there.

This time of year my go to launches are either Lapidum or Jean Roberts park (The Amtrack Bridge) both are less busy and close to decent fishing.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by epiceric View Post
                Its been 3 weeks since I've been there but I hear there are some fish near the Perryville launch. I think there are more stripers being caught up in the river. The perch fishing was very good but haven't heard anything lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post

I just looked up the Perryville park and it says that a annual permit is needed? I will be in the area Wednesday with time to kill early and looking to drop the yak in while waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by FreyJ23 View Post
                    I just looked up the Perryville park and it says that a annual permit is needed? I will be in the area Wednesday with time to kill early and looking to drop the yak in while waiting.
                    If your talking the boat launch ramp in Perryville that only applies if you have a trailer. For cartop kayaks no pemit or launch fee is required. Perryville community park has no fees or permits. Lapidum launch the launch fee applies to trailered boats/kayaks but there is a parking fee. If you have a senior pass neither apply. Tydings Marina, launch fee applies to trailered, no fee for cartop. Jean Roberts launch (Amtrak) during the week there is no fee but weekends there is a $5.00 ramp fee.
                    Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-20-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

That's awesome news thank you! Hopefully the weather works and I can get out Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                      X