VHF radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VHF radio

Any recommendations and why? Pros cons etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's a sense of security when on the water. It's clipped to my left shoulder strap on my PFD, so it's easy to use. Whether I am with other fellow Kayakers or especially when on big water. I even take it to Florida when on guided outing with friends. I think you can react quicker to a problem than pulling out your cell phone. I use one from West Marine for $100+. It's wateroof and floats.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I have a high end Standard Horizon hand-held radio. It's great. Long range, long battery life, waterproof, floats, has a safety beacon, and has GPS functions. However, I never use the GPS capabilities and hope I never have to use the beacon. If I had to buy another I would buy one with only basic capabilities that's waterproof and floats. Why? It's smaller, lighter and less expensive yet does the job.

A radio is indeed a good safety item as John mentioned. It's also a fish finder as you listen to the calls of your fellow kayakers on the water. You can even glean helpful fishing information from the normally tight-lipped charter boat captains on Channel 68.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I got the standard horizon hx150, IMO it's one of the best things I've ever bought for kayak fishing, or boating in general. Beyond the safety aspect of having it on me, it's also the best fishfinder money can buy. Usually I fish with at least 1 other person, and I like to keep in contact to tell them where I'm catching fish, and what I'm using, or if I'm not, to see if they're catching and where. I like to keep mine on the whole time, on the lowest volume setting, until I hear someone asking for me, or I want to say something. The battery on the unit I got (I think they're usually between 80-100$) should last about 10 hours on a full charge, and the unit is waterproof and floats.

Comment

I too use one I bought at West marine, again the 6w waterproof floating kind. It comes in handy for checking weather, talking with others who are out fishing with you and for emergency. I have a ram phone holder I mainly keep it on and sometimes when I am out with others I'll keep it attached to my pfd.

Comment

I just purchased standard horizon hx150,from the gps store it's priced at 79.95 and comes with $20 mail in rebate so 59.95 plus shipping ,great price to add some safety.
            Snow Camo Lure 11.5
            Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
            Hummingbird Helix 5
            Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

We also run (2) HX150's.

I also have 2 spares brand new in box if you need one quickly, or don't want to pay shipping fees. Located in 21076 - LMK
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I have a Standard Horizon HX300 and I don't get any reception... the direction says press "SQL" and etc. but it doesn't seem like I can open the box, put battery in and it is working.

I'm going to have to call Standard Horizon for technical assistance...
                2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                  I have a Standard Horizon HX300 and I don't get any reception... the direction says press "SQL" and etc. but it doesn't seem like I can open the box, put battery in and it is working.

I'm going to have to call Standard Horizon for technical assistance...

SQL may stand for Squelch. It blocks signals from coming in. You are able to adjust it. Possibly you have it set so high that you are not getting any incoming signal. Read your manual to learn how to adjust squelch. Turn it down all or most of the way and see if you get results. If so, you can fine tune it over time. If that doesn't work, your suggestion to contact the manufacturer is a good choice.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have the Cobra HH 500
                    Don't buy a Cobra VHF radio

The Good
                    The radio works well and has Bluetooth so you can answer your phone using the radio.
                    It has good range and a memory so you can play back your last few received messages.
                    It will charge on 115 volt or 12 volts
                    Has a second battery tray to use AA batterys

The bad
                    After just one season
                    all of the metal parts are rusting.
                    The spring and the clip that you cllip to your life jacket is almost rusted off
                    The screw that holds the battery to the unit is rusted out
                    I need to sand the charging port contacts every time It needs Charging.
                    It's tricky to get it to charge. The Charging lite will turn green ( full charge when it is not charged)
                    The antenna is rusted to the body.
                    The plastic antenna cover fell off. I had to re-glue it

You would think a Marine Radio would be made with Marine grade materials
                    Red Hobie outback
                    Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Standard Horizon. Around $100 @ West Marine. Long battery life and floatable. I told you about this months ago! Pay attention bro!

Love you man!
                      Jim McFalls
                      MSG US Army Retired
                      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
                      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
                      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
                      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
                      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

I have had ICOM, Standard Horizon and West Marine radios over the years. IMHO, Standard Horizon quality has gone way down. For kayakers and small boaters, I recommend the West Marine 160 which goes for @$129 on sale. This little radio is light, has plenty of power and has a long scan time. West Marine also has good customer service.

If you fish anywhere around ANP you can check your range on Sea Tow's auto radio check on Channel 27.
                        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Standard horizon hx300 has been basically flawless in the past 23 months of service. Only issue is a small crack in the screen that does not seem to go all the way through to surface. Battery life is amazing...have left it running multiple times by accident and have found it still running 48 hours plus later. Have had multiple others in the past from uniden, cobra...etc. Uniden was the worst, one quick dunk and supposedly waterproof unit was toast.

Comment

Agree. Standard Horizon HX150 - best deal for the money.
                            -manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have ICom radios- 2 of them- dependable, waterproof, what more can you ask?
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X