Mid-Severn 6/6/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Severn 6/6/17

Hit the water right before daylight this morning and wasn't disappointed. Came tight to 8 fish with one being a keeper that measured out to just shy of 22".

Half were caught on a 5 inch pearl paddletail hooked to a white 1oz bucktail jig and the other half hit the 1oz chrome/green rat-l-trap. The keeper for today hit the bucktail jig swimming at around 10 ft deep in 20ft of water.

Man, I love a rockfish sunrise!

Thanks for the report!

What is "SRRKC"?

Thinking about heading out Friday morning or Thursday afternoon...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
      Thanks for the report!

What is "SRRKC"?

My pleasure!

SRRKC: "Severn River Rod and Keg Club"
      It's a fun little fishing club that some of the snagged members and myself belong to. A few, not too competitive and fun, tournaments a year and a meeting held once a month at different restaurants in the Annapolis area.

Good luck and hope you get into them!

Comment

Thanks for the report!

What is "SRRKC"?

Our slogan is "A drinking club with a fishing problem". Love it!

Comment

Very nice!! How much line did you let out??? Is 20 feet enough for the lures that you use????

Thanks,
          Stan
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
            Very nice!! How much line did you let out??? Is 20 feet enough for the lures that you use????

Thanks,
            Stan
            Thanks!

First and foremost, your speed has everything to do with the depth of your lure. I usually try to maintain a 2.5-3mph troll. With a different speed will come different lure depths, if you're going off of my lengths.

I'm guestimating my deep lure is around 80-90 feet out. I've practiced casting on land with a junk 1oz bucktail w/paddletail hooked on and measured the overall length of my cast. On a good solid cast, I average 75 feet. I always set my lines while under way, to prevent scooping up any bottom debris (ie. black leaves, grass, twigs, etc.) So, for my deep lure I will cast hard behind me, let it catch up with my troll speed then I'll let out some more 10-20 feet. For my shallow lure, I'll only do a half cast then set it and forget it.

All of this is just what works for me with how I troll off of my board and there is no exact about fishing and setting lines. It's just nice to stay consistent if it's working and to have a starting point of where your gear is riding.

I've used lure depth calculators and all that mumbo jumbo but until you get out there and feel where you might be hitting bottom or look back to see that you're dragging your lure on the surface, you won't know where to start. It is all a guessing game!

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
              Thanks!

First and foremost, your speed has everything to do with the depth of your lure. I usually try to maintain a 2.5-3mph troll. With a different speed will come different lure depths, if you're going off of my lengths.

I'm guestimating my deep lure is around 80-90 feet out. I've practiced casting on land with a junk 1oz bucktail w/paddletail hooked on and measured the overall length of my cast. On a good solid cast, I average 75 feet. I always set my lines while under way, to prevent scooping up any bottom debris (ie. black leaves, grass, twigs, etc.) So, for my deep lure I will cast hard behind me, let it catch up with my troll speed then I'll let out some more 10-20 feet. For my shallow lure, I'll only do a half cast then set it and forget it.

All of this is just what works for me with how I troll off of my board and there is no exact about fishing and setting lines. It's just nice to stay consistent if it's working and to have a starting point of where your gear is riding.

I've used lure depth calculators and all that mumbo jumbo but until you get out there and feel where you might be hitting bottom or look back to see that you're dragging your lure on the surface, you won't know where to start. It is all a guessing game!
              I was just wondering about the relationship between length of your line, weight and speed to determine the depth of your lure.

Going 2.5-3mph on a SUP seems like you are moving pretty good!
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I was just wondering about the relationship between length of your line, weight and speed to determine the depth of your lure.

Going 2.5-3mph on a SUP seems like you are moving pretty good!
                Well, the drag that your lure and line creates against you makes your lure want to rise to it's pivot point (rod tip) the faster you go. You can have a bunch of line out and paddle fast or only have 20 feet of line out and paddle very slow to achieve the same lure depth BUT, in my experience, I've found (most of the time) the fish like the bait to be moving around 2.5-3 mph. There will always be the days that you go out and drop a lure straight down and get a hit while it's dropping or slow down to scratch your nose or check your lures for debris and get a hit but the majority of the time my speed, lure weight, and line length are as I stated above.
                Last edited by supfisher01; 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post

I'm guestimating my deep lure is around 80-90 feet out. I've practiced casting on land with a junk 1oz bucktail w/paddletail hooked on and measured the overall length of my cast. On a good solid cast, I average 75 feet.
                  Steve: You are the man! I will follow your advice. I so appreciate your help.

Best Regards,
                  Stan

Comment

Thanks for the report and impressed with the ability to successfully fish from a sup!

Comment

Agreed. Very cool.

Best Regards,
                      Stan

Comment

Nice Steve, thanks for the report.

Comment

Working...
                        X