Ron's Rants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron's Rants

One of my pet peeves is the high markup of fishing tackle- you go on EBay or Amazon websites and look at the variance of prices for the exact same item...Sea Assassin plastic baits or 1/4 oz 4/0 saltwater hook jigheads are a good example- just got an order of both- one off EBay the other off Amazon- both decent buys- free shipping...Outrageously high prices for plastics down to good buy all on the same site- from $10 a bag to $3.99 for a bag of 10...and if you order in quantities of 50 jigheads it gets down right inexpensive per jig, but that is a lot of jigheads...When you figure the only alternative is getting in the car and driving 47 miles to Arundel Mills Bass Pro Shop or 55 miles to Anglers...on-line ordering makes sense...for me- but you have to know what you are ordering and many times going straight to the manufacturer's website allows you to order directly from them at discount prices- I ordered from St. Croix's on-line store last year and got Avid X rods for $100 off retail on close-outs- I use only a very few colors in soft plastics- mostly chartruese and white or white with chart tail...and the same with Gulp- chartruese and white...tried the pink- didn't like it...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Amazon in part uses computer programs to set prices, so sometimes things get out of whack. Occasionally there are insane deals, other times you get a $50 bag of worms. Even more amusing is when the programs used by Amazon third party sellers start "fighting". The programs scan for identical items from other sellers and auto adjust pricing to the same level. If they are not programed well this can result in a bidding war type deal where both of them keep jacking the price up to match the other, resulting in a random used novel going for hundreds of dollars.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Insane...but then AI isn't really smart...just a highly advanced calculator...

Comment

I buy most of my tackle from Tacklewarehouse.com and Landbigfish.com. Both have six or seven sales every year with most stuff 15% to 20% off. They both offer free shipping on orders over $50, so I just wait and try to hit the sales. They generally come in a decent bit cheaper than the online average. Overstockbait.com has insane prices but a very limited selection. Their normal prices are not great but they have $1 to $3 per lure or bag sales all the time and if you get lucky you can stock up for very cheap.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I use very few different lures- mostly XRaps in three sizes- only two colors- blue/silver and bunker...and jigheads with Sea Assassin Swimbodies in three colors and sometimes Gulp...top water is Tsunami poppers...and Bomber Bonkadonks- walk the dog-I mostly buy soft body plastics and jigheads...and replacement hooks for the hardbody lures...I rarely lose any crankbaits unless I get an especially frisky CNR that breaks me off...

Comment

I rarely buy lures other than to replenish soft plastics.

I cannot remember the last time I lost a hard plastic bait. I've been using the same poppers, Rat-L-Traps and X-Raps for years. I changed all the hooks on them to single in-line hooks.

I make all my own jigs, perch spinners and flies. They don't come free. I've made a nontrivial investment over the years in a rotary vise, and tying materials and tools. Plus I have purchased a number of jig molds, spinner blades, etc. And then there's my time, even if I do enjoy the creative process and the results.

Everything comes with a cost. As economists say, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Same here Mark-I have done the same- all Owner single, in-line replacement hooks- Bill was remarking about the hooks today- I gave him one of my pet XRaps to fish with after limiting out early- the Stripers only wanted one lure and one color...and they were hitting it like a ton of bricks...

Comment

What size single hook do you use for a x-rap? I bought some vmc 1 /0 & 2/0 HOOKS BUT they are pretty big for a 3 /8 kastmaster spoon. Taklewarehouse has a guide suggesting a 1 or 2 size hook for a 4 or 6 treble. Is that working for you guys?
                Last edited by PigPen; 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM.
                PigPen - Mt Airy
                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                  What size single hook do you use for a x-rap? I bought some vmc 1 /0 & 2/0 HOOKS BUT they are pretty big for a 3 /8 kastmaster spoon. Taklewarehouse has a guide suggesting a 1 or 2 size hook for a 4 or 6 treble. Is that working for you guys?
                  You want the gap of the single hook to be as wide as the combined width of the treble. That's why guides suggest using a larger sized single hook than the size of the treble you are replacing.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                    I use 2/0 VMC for the sxr12s. 3/0 for my crystal minnows. I've noticed size seems to vary between brands.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      You want the gap of the single hook to be as wide as the combined width of the treble. That's why guides suggest using a larger sized single hook than the size of the treble you are replacing.
                      I have never heard that before, but it make sense. I have been doing it by weight, which seems to be working out so far.

I general I buy far far too much tackle, mostly all for freshwater bass. I do find it odd that I am perfectly content in throwing the same two (three if I am really feeling crazy) for perch, but I feel the need to lug 5 pounds of tackle around when I go after bass. I am in the process of trying to cull down my plastics collection, but it is a struggle. So many worms, so little time.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I have found that the Owner brand of hook is more rust resistant and is a really good "hooker" for the fish- if they get close the Owner will penetrate like a hot knife through butter...

Comment

For something that is proven productive, i'm willing to pay extra in a pinch.

We bought chartreuse and opening night paddle tails at BPS for 5.75 a pack, i'm sure in bulk they would be significantly cheaper, but we were headed out that morning and as someone once told me, "anytime the lure's not in the water, you aren't fishing"

bass assasin has some killer sales during closeouts, end of seasons, and 'bloopers' mis-colors etc, i've bought a hundred pack of several different colors for between $12-$18. That way, I can share amongst friends of fellow anglers and not break the bank, and karma always seems to come back to you. I was pier fishing last year in Piscataway and completed forgot my lead plano, and the angler right next to me handed me a 1,2,&3 oz and said if I leave before him just return them, and if he left before me they were mine to keep. Lead isn't super expensive, but i'd have been UP A CRICK trying to bottom fish shrimp without a sinker.

fishing karma always give back good mojo and good juju
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Bass Assassins- manufacturer's websites have sales- sometimes much cheaper than retail at your local tackleshop if you buy in bulk...I signed up for their web newsletter/sales

Comment

Working...
                            X