Kent Island 6/2. Slow day, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kent Island 6/2. Slow day, but...

Fished around Kent Island today from about 7 am til noon. Caught 12 rock, all but three were under 15". The other three were all over 20", however. Trolling in the shallows produced only small fish. Switched up to a 1 oz. jighead with a 5" zman paddletail when I moved into deeper water. Caught a 21" and a 22" fish on that setup in about 20 ft of water.

After getting my 2 fish limit I made my way over to some docks to see if there were any perch around. The first dock appeared barren until my trusty spinner was slammed and the drag started screaming. This was no perch. It did its best to wrap the 6 lb test of my ultra light setup around my rudder and the dock pilings but somehow it didn't snap my line and I landed another 22". This one was released to swim another day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Niiice!!! Congrats!

Comment

Nice, well done

Comment

Nice, I have to go out and give it a try myself congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Drive it like you stole it!
        2011 Hobie PA 14

Comment

Was back out there this morning from 7-11. There was another kayaker being towed around by a fish but I kept moving so as to not blow up his spot. Fishing was slow again with only 6, but 2 were keepers at 20" and 22". Couldn't have asked for a nicer day weather-wise.

Kevin

Comment

Did you find them deep again? I fished the shallows Saturday morning and had the same experience as you, all under 16". I did land a nice little speck though, surprised to see them up here this early.
            Last edited by rugbyfish; 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Cool that you got a speck. I've yet to catch one of those.

The first keeper was deep, caught on the same 1 oz jighead and 5" paddletail. Trolled over a point and on the back side when it dropped to about 17' got hit. The second was actually shallow on my way back in. When I got to a large flat about 5' deep I threw on a 3/8 jighead with a 6" paddletail just in case (always be trolling, they say) and managed to hook up.

Both trips I saw lots of bait at the surface in the deep areas with small stripers chasing them, but couldn't pick any fish up no matter what I threw at them. None of the keepers appeared to be chasing the bait balls. Perhaps they are content to let the food come to them.

Kevin

Comment

The speck was definitely a surprise, I hope they show up in good numbers this year. I actually went out in the Severn Saturday evening for a few hours and ended up with a small weakfish, which was also a surprise. I encountered the same thing with the baitfish. I came across several bait balls with no signs of stripers. Everything I caught seemed to be on its own, with no discernible pattern. Glad you got into the big ones, sounds like a great weekend!
                Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
                X