Fishfinder Reading Incorrect Depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder Reading Incorrect Depth

I have an issue with my Hummingbird Helix. I took it out this morning for the first time and it is always showing 9.2 feet or 9.4 feet. Either my fishfinder is wrong or Severn river has a constant depth of 9.x feet.

Anyone run into a similar issue? Also, it seems like there is no read on the bottom unless I turn the sensitivity on higher. Is this an transducer mounting issue? I used Duct Seal. I mounted it directly on top of it, maybe half an inch of it.

thanks for the help.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I also use duct seal, and I've had 2 instances now when sand/grime gets under the transducer, between it and the duct seal, and also between the seal and hull. It made my unit give many inconsistent readings, from 1 foot to over 800 within several minutes. After I cleaned off the mounting spot, and remounted with fresh duct seal, it worked fine for a few months before I ran into the same issue. My kayak is a sit inside, so it's tough to keep all the water and sand away from the mounting spot, I need to build some sort of foam or plastic barrier around the transducer to prevent further issues.

Comment

I agree with re-mounting it. You may have a trapped air bubble causing issues.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Thank you both. I'll check on it and report back on what I find...

I swear Severn river isn't 9.x feet deep everywhere... i launched and it was 9 feet deep within 1 second....
        2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
        X