First time back out in a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time back out in a while

It's been a while since I've been out there on the SUP but everything came back to me on my paddle out to the fishing grounds.

I launched at 5:20am to a slight breeze out of the northwest and to an almost dead low tide in the mid-Severn.

I set a white 1oz bucktail with a 5" pearl paddletail out deep (approx 8-10ft depth) and a 1oz, 4", chrome w/green top rat-l-trap out shallow (approx 4-6ft depth). I trolled my usual spots along the channel ledges and over hilly contours for 15 minutes before getting my first hit on the 1oz bucktail. Not much drag being taken but still a great sound and will never get old. I land him and measures out to be 15".

I set both my lines back out the same way I had and started to troll once again. No more than 2 minutes later the rat-l-trap goes down. This one barely took any drag at all and thought it was just another small rockfish. I land it and it turns out to be a 9" perch with the biggest kohones ever, going for a 4" trap half his size. Haha!

For the next hour it was the same small sized rockfish taking my lines down. 4 rockfish on the bucktail and 1 rockfish and perch on the rat-l-trap. I did get a couple hits that felt very promising but never landed them. Hope to hook up to them again sometime soon!

Here are some pics from this morning. Tight lines everyone!

Last edited by supfisher01; 06-01-2017, 01:52 PM.

Awesome! Such a unique fishing experience, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Clearly a case of their eyes being bigger than their stomachs.

It's good to hear from you again.

I hope you get into the big ones soon.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
        It's been a while since I've been out there on the SUP but everything came back to me on my paddle out to the fishing grounds.

I launched at 5:20am to a slight breeze out of the northwest and to an almost dead low tide in the mid-Severn.

I set a white 1oz bucktail with a 5" pearl paddletail out deep (approx 8-10ft depth) and a 1oz, 4", chrome w/green top rat-l-trap out shallow (approx 4-6ft depth). I trolled my usual spots along the channel ledges and over hilly contours for 15 minutes before getting my first hit on the 1oz bucktail. Not much drag being taken but still a great sound and will never get old. I land him and measures out to be 15".

I set both my lines back out the same way I had and started to troll once again. No more than 2 minutes later the rat-l-trap goes down. This one barely took any drag at all and thought it was just another small rockfish. I land it and it turns out to be a 9" perch with the biggest kohones ever, going for a 4" trap half his size. Haha!

For the next hour it was the same small sized rockfish taking my lines down. 4 rockfish on the bucktail and 1 rockfish and perch on the rat-l-trap. I did get a couple hits that felt very promising but never landed them. Hope to hook up to them again sometime soon!

Here are some pics from this morning. Tight lines everyone!

Nice to hear from you Steve. Let's hope the Severn heats up soon!

John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
          Awesome! Such a unique fishing experience, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Clearly a case of their eyes being bigger than their stomachs.

It's good to hear from you again.

I hope you get into the big ones soon.
            Haha... clearly.

I hope to get into the bigger ones as well but, from my records, it's still a little early for the keeper sized fish to be roaming abundantly through my neck of the woods. Although, the start of this year gave me an unexpected surprise with an awesome winter catch and release season so who knows. I'll be out there exploring so if there are any signs of big life, my reports will be flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
              Nice to hear from you Steve. Let's hope the Severn heats up soon!

Thanks, John! Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
              X