Advising those new to the hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advising those new to the hobby

There’s a thread underway on this forum from a person seeking advice on entering the hobby. It’s not the first and it won’t be the last. It’s good we’re here to help prospective kayak anglers with our individual experiences. Rather than hijack that thread, I thought I would start another that touches upon that subject and offers my thoughts for those seeking information and those who respond.

My guess is that most of the experienced kayak anglers who post their advice on Snaggedline were accomplished anglers before they ever sat in a kayak. They likely learned to fish by wading rivers and streams, casting from banks or the surf, or they fished from a motor boat. Maybe they excelled in each of those techniques.

I believe that means that a particular kayak is not going to make anyone a better angler. Fishing skills honed by long experience will. I view my two kayaks as extensions of my waders, allowing me to visit spots I could not reach on foot. They enable me to reach areas unnavigable by larger boats. Or they let me go off-shore, within reason, of course. They provide a comfortable seat for 3 to 4 hour trips in fresh or tidal waters and sufficient space for only the gear I need on those trips. That’s all I ask.

My kayaks are merely tools and imperfect tools at that, both limited by many tradeoffs. There is no ideal boat to meet every conceivable water type and every fishing style.

But there are many boats that will suffice to meet most anglers’ basic needs because: 1, makers produce a lot boats in the middle of the “tradeoff road” designed to meet a majority of kayak anglers’ needs; 2, those anglers will adapt to their kayaks’ individual characteristics in order to do what they love and that’s to go fishing. In other words, with rare exceptions, they’ll make their boats work, minor flaws and all.

Those contemplating the hobby can paralyze themselves by over-analyzing the marketing minutiae for each kayak brand. Also, they can read countless personal testimonials from those with sincere brand loyalties. Those recommendations are fine but they may conflict causing more confusion.

Or, more profitably, someone new to the hobby can research these important inescapable facts about kayaks that ultimately apply to every kayak angler: A comparison of SOT vs. SINK; the relationship of length to speed, tracking, and capacity; the need (or not) for a rudder, and how hull shape dictates primary and secondary stability. When prospective kayak anglers understand those issues, they’ll be in a better position to choose among many good fishing kayaks. Then they can factor in affordability, the kinds of waters they’re most likely to visit and transportability. Once they do all that they can satisfy the basic itch they were trying to scratch and that’s to go fishing.

So, yes, provide your individual brand recommendations but remember that we’re all captive nature’s rules about buoyancy, stability, speed (which is really ease of propulsion in our case), etc. Make sure folks realize that no manner of rigging or post market additions can compensate for the inherent aquatic qualities molded into each hull as it comes out of the factory.

Lastly, and to emphasize a point DonV has recently made on this forum, I often say that I wish I knew about kayak fishing 10 years ago. When I finally saw its possibilities, thanks to the urging of a good friend, I didn’t hesitate to make a purchase. I grew as a kayak angler in that boat adjusting to its nuances, not battling them. Some things I thought were critical prior to purchase turned out to not be so. And some things about it that I didn’t anticipate became important. So, I believe Don is right when he advises “paulg” to get a serviceable boat and simply get out on the water. It won’t be the perfect boat because no matter how hard we research there will always be a new kayak with another attractive feature. Most important is that our kayak provides a safe, comfortable and functional fishing platform. After that, the fun is up to us.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I am working on DonV advise now and trying to get out there ASAP!

Comment

This thread could be locked up and stuck to the top. There really isn't anything more to add; Mark nailed it perfectly. Excellent, excellent post!
      Brian

Comment

Mark gave a very thorough and clear discussion of what should be considered when choosing a kayak. There is no perfect kayak. The goal is to find a boat that meets many of your requirements and allows you to get on the water easily and safely. And for most Snaggedline members, cost is a real criterion. Two points that I consider to be critical for any kayak I buy in the future are:

a) weight/length - as an older guy, I am unwilling to lift a kayak to a roof rack on every trip. I limit myself to kayaks that can be hauled inside my minivan. Currently I have an 11' paddle kayak and a 10' pedal kayak. These may not be the "best kayak" for on-the-water use, but by accepting something that is perhaps less roomy or able to handle large waves, I allow myself to use the kayak more frequently;

b) seat comfort - the first kayak I owned was fun by had an uncomfortable sitting position; once I tried another brand and model of kayak when fishing with a guide, I immediately bought that model for my own use.

Thanks to Mark for starting this topic
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Excellent post, and allow me to reiterate a point you made....a kayak first and foremost gets you out on the water. This is probably the majority of the enjoyment I get from kayaking, simply being out on a body of water that many people, even those who live in close proximity to it, never get a chance to go out on. All it takes is an early morning trip, paddling out as the sun rises, or a late afternoon trip, and paddling in as the sun sets, to seal the deal. Kayaks allow someone to quietly, and peacefully, traverse large expanses of open water, and become as close as possible to the world around you, that many never notice. You'll see subtle swirls in the water from fish just beneath the surface, maybe a deer on the shoreline you would've missed if you'd been in a powerboat, and certainly you'll be able to hear every twig snap, or every moderately close splash. It's a surreal experience that many who don't kayak or fish from a kayak, simply overlook. Combine that whole experience, and catching your first fish from a kayak, and forgive the pun, but you'll be hooked. From there it's all personal taste, how fast do you want to go, how do you want to travel, how do you like to fish, etc etc etc. I would even advise taking the absolute bare minimum out with you on your first trip or 2, just so you can focus on the connection with the water that you'll be a part of. And once you do get the hang of paddling and fishing, don't forget to just take 5-10 minutes here and there, and just listen to the world around you. You'll be surprised at what, and how much, it has to say.

Comment

Excellent advice from Mark. Probably needs to be a sticky!

I also reiterate JA Veil's comment about weight/length and seat comfort...
            Last edited by Seasalt; 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              And once you do get the hang of paddling and fishing, don't forget to just take 5-10 minutes here and there, and just listen to the world around you.
              This is better some places than others. I had my son on the South River several weeks ago and was asked if there were always so many sirens. Now put me on a lake in the Adirondacks (very soon) with loons calling and you've got something.
              Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
              2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Well put Mark
                Tight lines
                Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Well said Mark!
                  +1 for your post becoming a "sticky"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Lastly, and to emphasize a point DonV has recently made on this forum, I often say that I wish I knew about kayak fishing 10 years ago. When I finally saw its possibilities, thanks to the urging of a good friend, I didn’t hesitate to make a purchase. I grew as a kayak angler in that boat adjusting to its nuances, not battling them. Some things I thought were critical prior to purchase turned out to not be so. And some things about it that I didn’t anticipate became important. So, I believe Don is right when he advises “paulg” to get a serviceable boat and simply get out on the water. It won’t be the perfect boat because no matter how hard we research there will always be a new kayak with another attractive feature. Most important is that our kayak provides a safe, comfortable and functional fishing platform. After that, the fun is up to us.
                    Mark,
                    Lots of great advice here. I have owned my Kayak for OVER FOUR YEARS and have yet to catch a keeper rockfish and/or bluefish. But, I have to say, that I have done better and better each year. Last year I got: lots of perch, lots of spot, and a few under sized rock fish.

For me, I got a kayak because I was catching nothing casting from the bank. So, I thought that a kayak would allow me to essentially 'cast further'. What I found was that I still caught nothing. But, each year, I have learned more and more. I am hoping that I get my first keeper rockfish and first blue fish from my kayak, Who knows, fisherman are eternal optimists.

The only advice I can give, is don't buy a kayak to catch lots of fish. Instead, buy one to have some fun. The catching will come, after having lots of fun.

Best Regards,
                    Stan
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

..... Kayaks allow someone to quietly, and peacefully, traverse large expanses of open water, and become as close as possible to the world around you, that many never notice. You'll see subtle swirls in the water from fish just beneath the surface, maybe a deer on the shoreline you would've missed if you'd been in a powerboat, and certainly you'll be able to hear every twig snap, or every moderately close splash. It's a surreal experience that many who don't kayak or fish from a kayak, simply overlook. .......
                      Well said. My life is a constant rush. I have five kids, (two girls still at home), lots of grand kids, and I buy and sell foreclosed homes. After buying them, I move my family into them for 3-7 years while I fix them up. I am constantly rushed and stressed. Sometimes, I get out on the water, find a cove and just sit. I don't even drop in a line. I just feel the stress drain from me.

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Excellent post, and allow me to reiterate a point you made....a kayak first and foremost gets you out on the water. This is probably the majority of the enjoyment I get from kayaking, simply being out on a body of water that many people, even those who live in close proximity to it, never get a chance to go out on. All it takes is an early morning trip, paddling out as the sun rises, or a late afternoon trip, and paddling in as the sun sets, to seal the deal. Kayaks allow someone to quietly, and peacefully, traverse large expanses of open water, and become as close as possible to the world around you, that many never notice. You'll see subtle swirls in the water from fish just beneath the surface, maybe a deer on the shoreline you would've missed if you'd been in a powerboat, and certainly you'll be able to hear every twig snap, or every moderately close splash. It's a surreal experience that many who don't kayak or fish from a kayak, simply overlook. Combine that whole experience, and catching your first fish from a kayak, and forgive the pun, but you'll be hooked. From there it's all personal taste, how fast do you want to go, how do you want to travel, how do you like to fish, etc etc etc. I would even advise taking the absolute bare minimum out with you on your first trip or 2, just so you can focus on the connection with the water that you'll be a part of. And once you do get the hang of paddling and fishing, don't forget to just take 5-10 minutes here and there, and just listen to the world around you. You'll be surprised at what, and how much, it has to say.
                        Well said and that is what hooks me to the sport. Don't get me wrong I love seafood and love catching it as much but even on a skunk day I enjoy myself almost to much to explain. Always loved the water and had been on numerous fishing and boat trips but the kayak justs really gets you right there and some very immediate sense. Going out on a power boat and not catching is usually a kind of miserable day while the same on a kayak I enjoy tremendously

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
                        This is better some places than others. I had my son on the South River several weeks ago and was asked if there were always so many sirens. Now put me on a lake in the Adirondacks (very soon) with loons calling and you've got something.
                        I here you, but strangely even sometimes in of all places, say Baltimore Harbor with all the din, I find many times I catch those glimpses of things and the associated feelings that yak scientist mentions. It's whole different perspective on familiar places and I get a look at them in a whole new way. Sometimes even while frantically trying to dodge a boater that seems to have me in his sights or having lead slung at my head by shore fisherman.

Comment

Well written Mark, as a fairly newby (3+yrs), you just need to get out there and then make your observations.
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                          X