Jonas 5/27 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas 5/27 Report

Weather Saturday morning 5/27 looked good on radar, so we headed out & got on the water about 915 with my girlfriend, calm water, cloudy +- 70* air temps. She was using opening night and i was using neon glow w/ chartruse tail, both paddle tails, hers was 1/2oz and mine was 3/4 oz. Near the dropoff we both connected with 14" stripers. 11:15 wind picked up and chop started, so we headed in, small rain storm while we were beaching and pulling out.

Headed up to load and ran into Steve6902 who was crabbing and saw the same rain storm, he did pretty well. Also talked to him about his rocket tube rod holder in the bed of his truck, SUPER slick setup for Assateague / OC parking right on the beach. Pleasure meeting you in person, and i'm sure we will link up again soon.

Loading my truck, a DNR rep asked for a quick 5 minute survey, and while going through his questionairre we spotted this guy making a run across the paved trail.

Ended the trip with lunch at Red Hot 'N Blue Annapolis, with the horrible forecast previously released for Saturday, we were VERY happy to enjoy a few hours out on the water.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Is that a turtle? If so, what kind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I'm pretty sure that's a common snapping turtle, they get to be pretty large (2'+ across the shell), but not as large as the more southern Alligator Snapping Turtle. We thankfully don't get the alligator snappers this far north. Jonas is the go-to spot for tons of small rockfish haha, but I much prefer hitting all the docks for monster white perch. I got my 2 biggest ones, both just below the citation size of 13", from launching at Jonas Green last summer.

Comment

It was a snapping turtle. It was nice to meet you also mchottie. If you need the parts list for my DIY rod holder just let me know. Always willing to share.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Neat turtle photo!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            I'm pretty sure that's a common snapping turtle, they get to be pretty large (2'+ across the shell), but not as large as the more southern Alligator Snapping Turtle. We thankfully don't get the alligator snappers this far north. Jonas is the go-to spot for tons of small rockfish haha, but I much prefer hitting all the docks for monster white perch. I got my 2 biggest ones, both just below the citation size of 13", from launching at Jonas Green last summer.
            Neat! Sounds like it was a fun trip.
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Yeah, that's a common snapping turtle. One that size would have come from an egg laid last summer and hatched in the fall, though they often over winter within the nest, so this spring may be that little guys first foray out into the world.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Nice, I was out from 5-830 crabbing as well, but only ended up with 4. Big perch in the docks saved my trip!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                X