Looking for some advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonV View Post
    I'm going to go counter to most of the other advice here. From what you said originally, freshwater was going to be your thing with some bay use. It seems now that the talk has almost morphed into a strictly bay boat and you may want to rethink slow down and consider your options carefully. You don't want to make a purchase you are going to regret and get a kayak that may limit you in what you want to use it for. It could even discourage you from wanting to use it. You may be getting off base with a kayak that will be only shine on large open water and the added length and weight is going to be cumbersome and limiting for other uses. I do think everyone's advice that if you do want to do the bay 13 and up is where you should be is correct but just think you should consider what you are realistically going to do. Anything under you are going to feel small out there.

Few people here fish stricly the open bay. The majority of the fishing is done in tributaries of the bay with a mix of freshwater mixed in. Plenty of fish to be had and places to explore without heading out mid bay or open ocean. Don't get me wrong if you do think you would do the majority of your fishing out in large open water the 13 foot or even larger kayak is going to be your best option. Personally I have a 12' and even at 58 lbs the weight can be bothersome loading, unloading and getting to some of the of the not quite easy to get to out of the way places I may want to launch. 13 for on a freshwater river such as the Potomac or Susquehanna is going to less maneuverable to dodge hazards and just more boat than you need in those type of fishing situations. I just find that I don't enjoy the open water fishing and seem to have better luck in and know a bit more about shallower situations. I'm also somewhat of a chicken and really don't like being in situations where the shore is not visible. Maybe if I had a bigger kayak that would change somewhat yet I still don't really think I would feel the need to venture out into open water when plenty of fishing can be had at much closer locations.

I have had my small twelve out in the bay and why not quite always inspiring confidence it gets me there. I've even had it in the surf. It handles all the tributaries of the bay I fish. It handles smaller rocky rivers adequately. It a good general purpose size and weight. Once again don't get me wrong there are times where I would sure like to have that added length and capability but on the other hand there are times a even smaller lighter kayak would be more appropriate. With it being light I can drag or throw if off the truck to get in a pond at the side of the road if I like. You don't mention your age but that is a factor to consider, you may not have a problem with a larger kayak and added weight but it definitely becomes an issue with age and the loading and unloading can become tedious.

If you really want a cheap option to get your toes in the water quickly Dicks has a sale on the Eagle Talon at $399 right now. While not a top of the line boat it gets some really great reviews considering it's price. Down side I see is that it is heavy for it size and many complaints about seat comfort.
    You can see it here. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...fsgltlnstkypsk

At the same after seeing the recommendations on the Vibes and their prices the extra spent would seem well worth it just to have a decent seat and they are some real bargains that I hadn't looked at in a while.
    Thanks man,that is good stuff to think about. I guess as all people have said there is not an all in one kayak. I am almost 40 but I can still lug things around, you are right , my time in fresh water would be much more then the bay.

Comment

This is just my 2cents - but if you're not sure how enthusiastic you'll be about kayak fishing in the long run; get an Eagle Talon or one of the West Marine boats, whichever hits the lowest price point AND has the most comfortable seat. The seat will determine how long you're comfortable staying out to fish. If you like it, buy a cheap/used fish finder and keep fishing. If after a year or two you are really into kayak fishing - buy a pedal boat and keep the paddle for spare/guests.

I spent a lot more than the cost of that Talon to get a brand new new Moken and getting it outfitted and I love it for a paddle yak but after my first year of kayak fishing I was ready for a pedal yak, and just haven't had the spare coin to throw at a pedal yak. I'm to the point where I'd almost punch a kitten for a pedal yak and not even feel bad about it (sorta sarcasm). Both have positives and negatives but most of my fishing has been in water where I would have benefited from the pedal drive and I regret not spending the extra coin up front.
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
        This is just my 2cents - but if you're not sure how enthusiastic you'll be about kayak fishing in the long run; get an Eagle Talon or one of the West Marine boats, whichever hits the lowest price point AND has the most comfortable seat. The seat will determine how long you're comfortable staying out to fish. If you like it, buy a cheap/used fish finder and keep fishing. If after a year or two you are really into kayak fishing - buy a pedal boat and keep the paddle for spare/guests.

I spent a lot more than the cost of that Talon to get a brand new new Moken and getting it outfitted and I love it for a paddle yak but after my first year of kayak fishing I was ready for a pedal yak, and just haven't had the spare coin to throw at a pedal yak. I'm to the point where I'd almost punch a kitten for a pedal yak and not even feel bad about it (sorta sarcasm). Both have positives and negatives but most of my fishing has been in water where I would have benefited from the pedal drive and I regret not spending the extra coin up front.
        That's a good point also. I did that when got my Perception Pescador, same as the West Marine pompano BTW. I'm out less than $400 and had some time to figure out what I like to do. Strangely or maybe just because I have become attached to it I have found it still suits my needs, it is great performing hull and I like it very much. There many times one some other paddle or even of a Hobie would be way better suited to what I'm doing but along with that may come disadvantages for other situations. That compromise again thing always staring me in the face.

The seat in mine is somewhat of a pain and that has always got me eyeing some other option but sometimes when I consider the pros and cons I still would like to just stick with what I have. The good thing as you said is that I can now at least make a considered decision and only being out a relatively small amount of money the sting will not be bad if I decide to switch and I have already well gotten my money's worth out of the kayak and can maybe even still get a couple or a few hundred back if I decide to sell.

I do have to say looking at the Vibe prices, a little more up front may get him just the kayak he wants that could last indefinitely if sure in the choice and expectations of it.

I do want to say that an even worse fate is to continue to put it off is it is something that you think you are going to take to. Get a serviceable boat and get out there. It may not ideal for every trip but I regret the years I waited much more than I ever will than my buying choice. I just wish I would have gotten on the water sooner. Realistically I'd be willing to pay hundreds or even thousands a year for the enjoyment and pleasure I get out of my kayak.

Comment

13 for on a freshwater river such as the Potomac or Susquehanna is going to less maneuverable to dodge hazards and just more boat than you need in those type of fishing situations. I just find that I don't enjoy the open water fishing and seem to have better luck in and know a bit more about shallower situations.

consider, you may not have a problem with a larger kayak and added weight but it definitely becomes an issue with age and the loading and unloading can become tedious.

Sorry but I have to disagree with these two statements I have a 13.5 that weighs 95lbs. I fish the Susquehanna river a considerable amount from Lapidum to Deer Creek which gets very shallow. I have no problems maneuvering my kayak around the rocks and obstructions so I don't think size matters so much as ones awareness and abilities.

I'm 69 years old and car top my kayak at least 2 to 3 times a week and I have a gimpy back and two bad knees. At no point they way I load mine do I strain my back , knees or anything else. Others on here have seen my do that several times.That is not to say some cant to do that because of physical conditions but I do not subscribe to don't buy because of length

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
            Sorry but I have to disagree with these two statements I have a 13.5 that weighs 95lbs. I fish the Susquehanna river a considerable amount from Lapidum to Deer Creek which gets very shallow. I have no problems maneuvering my kayak around the rocks and obstructions so I don't think size matters so much as ones awareness and abilities.

I'm 69 years old and car top my kayak at least 2 to 3 times a week and I have a gimpy back and two bad knees. At no point they way I load mine do I strain my back , knees or anything else. Others on here have seen my do that several times.That is not to say some cant to do that because of physical conditions but I do not subscribe to don't buy because of length
            that may be true for you but I would dread a 95 lb. boat. I struggle enough just loading and unloading what I have, Yes I do see many that have ingenious way of unloading and loading that require a minimum of effort but sometimes the vehicle you have and the storage space you have at home can get into the equation and complicate and make things a bit harder. The way it is for me now to store that size kayak I'd have to enlarge or build a new shed and possibly change vehicles. maybe even give up half my garage that I use as a wood shop. It would put certain launches I use out of reach and I'd hate to ask the wife with her blown out ankle to take an end when I had to put in away which entails going halfway down the yard turning it on its side to jimmy though a fairly tight door and lift it up onto a rack. Maybe not as much on the water but even still there the weight and length can come into play. On the water and in the other other ways I mention it is definitely something to think about when thinking about a purchase. When I'm planning trips I'm always excited and happy but when having to get the gear out loaded and on the water it can be a pain and take some of the enjoyment out of trips. It's even worse when coming home after a long day of fishing. Definitely a factor to consider carefully for a newcomer.

Comment

I see both of your points with weight and loading and unloading , I am going to check out some feel free and vibe, they seem to be the most bang for my buck. I guess when I see the size and weight of the 11' and 13' I will decide. Unfortunately there are no dealers in the Baltimore area. I do like that the feel free has its one wheel and the vibe has some nice features as well.

Comment

weight is a very underestimated point. my PA14 dry is 120.5 lbs and i'm pretty sure its pushing 200+ when i'm fully rigged. even with the HD cart, its a heavy MF when you have to pull uphill. that being said, i metup with YakHooker19 this past weekend and he was insistant in helping me load it into the bed of my truck, and was amazed when i showed him it loads completed in under 2 minutes with a bed extender.
                Last edited by mchottie; 05-30-2017, 05:22 PM.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                  weight is a very underestimated point...
                  Michael,

I could not agree more. This morning I used my Revo for the first time in months. It's a mere baby compared to your PA. However, even at 62 pounds I could feel a big difference car-topping the Revo as opposed to my 49 pound Ultimate 12 which is the boat I have been using regularly this spring. I really believe the fishing kayak makers are missing big market for those who'd appreciate lighter boats.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by paulg View Post
                    I see both of your points with weight and loading and unloading , I am going to check out some feel free and vibe, they seem to be the most bang for my buck. I guess when I see the size and weight of the 11' and 13' I will decide. Unfortunately there are no dealers in the Baltimore area. I do like that the feel free has its one wheel and the vibe has some nice features as well.
                    Thats a shame I would really like to look and maybe even get one myself. I'm surprised they don't have a 12 footer in the lineup. Anybody have the 110 and can share input on how it moves and handles open water wind and weather? Like I said I love my boat except for that damn seat and that Vibe one sure looks comfy.

Comment

Weight and seat comfort are certainly important. I can't speak for the Vibe but the Feelfree Lure's seat is great. It is a bit heavy but with the wheel-in-the-keel design, you don't have to pick it up and don't need a cart for trips from your truck to the launch. I've been very happy with mine. Starrkmoon Kayaks in Delta, PA has them in stock if you want to check them out.
                      Mike
                      Feelfree Lure 11.5
                      Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Thats a shame I would really like to look and maybe even get one myself. I'm surprised they don't have a 12 footer in the lineup. Anybody have the 110 and can share input on how it moves and handles open water wind and weather? Like I said I love my boat except for that damn seat and that Vibe one sure looks comfy.
                        Sorry the Vibe is just 110 and 130 , I believe the Feel Free has a 12.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Weight and seat comfort are certainly important.
                          Seat comfort would also be my #2 criteria. You're sitting in this boat for significant extended periods of time, invest in some good quality seating or upgraded seating. The PA and now the Revo series both include the "vantage" seating but as much as reviews rant and rave about them, I prefer the gel seat on my SOT 12' for comfort. i'll probably be adding a gel topper to my vantage seat very soon.
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I do want to say that an even worse fate is to continue to put it off is it is something that you think you are going to take to. Get a serviceable boat and get out there. It may not ideal for every trip but I regret the years I waited much more than I ever will than my buying choice. I just wish I would have gotten on the water sooner. Realistically I'd be willing to pay hundreds or even thousands a year for the enjoyment and pleasure I get out of my kayak.
                            This part here! I've lived in Maryland for the vast majority of my life-usually within 15 minutes or so of the water. Five years ago I moved to within 2 miles of the St. Mary's River. One day I had an epiphany regarding how close I was to the water and not taking advantage of it. It sounds like you're up north, but if you make it to the lower slower (St. Mary's County) I'd be happy to let you demo my WS Tsunami 145 or Hobie Outback. We could probably even get you in a Revolution 13 too. Snagged Line is a great bunch of people.
                            Tight lines
                            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                              This part here! I've lived in Maryland for the vast majority of my life-usually within 15 minutes or so of the water. Five years ago I moved to within 2 miles of the St. Mary's River. One day I had an epiphany regarding how close I was to the water and not taking advantage of it. It sounds like you're up north, but if you make it to the lower slower (St. Mary's County) I'd be happy to let you demo my WS Tsunami 145 or Hobie Outback. We could probably even get you in a Revolution 13 too. Snagged Line is a great bunch of people.
                              Thank you sir! I don't know if I will make it down there anytime soon but when I do I will let you know.

Comment

Check out feel free. I have a Lure 11.5. Actually 2 of them. Not the fastest but very stable. I stand and fish regularly in calm water

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X