Looking for some advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advise

Hey guys , I am looking into the kayak fishing world and I have some questions. I mostly just freshwater fish but after reading some of the threads and living close to the bay I may try out some bay( or rivers leading to) fishing. Anyway I am 6'1" and 200lbs, what size kayak is the most versatile and what is a good starter brand? Thanks in advance! and sorry if this has been asked a hundred times.

Biggest question and limiting factor is budget.
    Do you want paddle only or some sort of pedal driven kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post

He said best...If you want to start- buy used...much cheaper way to get into it without breaking the bank- even an older Hobie Outback pre-2015 seat change can be had for around a grand and most have been outfitted with extra rod holders & accessories...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

paulg,

The best advice I can give you is that there is no particular "starter" brand of a fishing kayak. The common brand names you see mentioned on this forum are each proven, functional boats. They're all good.

If budget is a factor, the typical name brand boats are durable and a used one may be a good choice for you.

However, if you are going to venture into the Bay and presumably go far from shore, I would suggest a sit-on-top kayak for safety reasons.

Another criterion if it’s a paddle-driven boat is that I would recommend it to be at least 12 feet long for better tracking and sufficient weight carrying capacity.

Also, a 12 footer will not feel overwhelming (too large) in small, calm waters when you fish creeks and ponds. In other words, I think it's a good size for each of the kinds of waters you mentioned.

Last, but not least, consider the hull's dead weight and how you will transport it to the water. If it’s too heavy for you to easily maneuver it on land, you probably won’t use it much.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You're about to embark on a wonderful hobby.
        Last edited by Mark; 05-29-2017, 04:03 PM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post

I would think I would be OK with just a paddle unless you guys think its something that I will just upgrade in time, I was planning on spending under $1000

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          He said best...If you want to start- buy used...much cheaper way to get into it without breaking the bank- even an older Hobie Outback pre-2015 seat change can be had for around a grand and most have been outfitted with extra rod holders & accessories...
          Thanks, I will keep my eyes out, just started looking into used kayaks
          Originally posted by Mark View Post
          paulg,

The best advice I can give you is that there is no particular "starter" brand of a fishing kayak. The common brand names you see mentioned on this forum are each proven, functional boats. They're all good.

If budget is a factor, the typical name brand boats are durable and a used one may be a good choice for you.

However, if you are going to venture into the Bay and presumably go far from shore, I would suggest a sit-on-top kayak for safety reasons.

Another criterion if it’s a paddle-driven boat is that I would recommend it to be at least 12 feet long for better tracking and sufficient weight carrying capacity.

Also, a 12 footer will not feel overwhelming (too large) in small, calm waters when you fish creeks and ponds. In other words, I think it's a good size for each of the kinds of waters you mentioned.

Last, but not least, consider the hull's dead weight and how you will transport it to the water. If it’s too heavy for you to easily maneuver it on land, you probably won’t use it much.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. You're about to embark on a wonderful hobby.
          I was concerned about the dead weight , I had a Jon boat before and I got tired of moving it four times to fish with the weight of the boat , batteries, motors and gear. That is the reason I was looking into kayaks, I have a full size pick up I will use to move it

Comment

I picked up a used Hobie outback and it was exactly what I wanted.
            If you havent seen many kayaks then take a trip to Delaware paddlesports and look at what there is to offer and demo some.
            Look online at Jackson and Feel Free kayaks, the feel free moken might work for you.

Comment

Awesome , thanks I will check them out!

Comment

I saw a few Wilderness systems for sale on here, are they decent kayaks? Sorry I don't no much about the different manufactures and their quality

Comment

I would also recommend checking out Vibe kayaks. They have a few very good options under $1000, and they all come with a seat and paddle.
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                    I would also recommend checking out Vibe kayaks. They have a few very good options under $1000, and they all come with a seat and paddle.
                    I just saw their site, looking cool! I see you have the 130, how do you like it and have you owed other kayaks? I

Comment

Originally posted by paulg View Post
                      I just saw their site, looking cool! I see you have the 130, how do you like it and have you owed other kayaks? I
                      I had a 10' Pelican Apex before I got the 130, and there's really no comparison. I love the 130, it is very easy to paddle and tracks well. I also really like what's included in the price: stadium style seat, rudder, paddle, gear tracks, transducer mount and scupper, etc. The only drawback is the weight. It can be difficult to load and unload by yourself, but it is by no means a deal breaker. Overall I'm very satisfied with it.
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

nice! I would probably go with the 110 but did you get yours online , I didn't see a dealer in the area. I do like that they come equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by paulg View Post
                          nice! I would probably go with the 110 but did you get yours online , I didn't see a dealer in the area. I do like that they come equipped.
                          I got mine from French Creek Outfitters, just outside of Philly. It was cheaper to ship it to my door than it would have been for me to drive up and get it there. Their customer service is outstanding too.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I also had a SG130 that I ordered from French Creek Outfitters. GREAT company!! For $900 bucks you get a kayak with built in rails, High, Low seat, paddle and a rudder. Hard to beat that price. I used that yak on the Potomac and Monocacy river as well as the Bay. Holds a lot and tracks well.
                            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                              I also had a SG130 that I ordered from French Creek Outfitters. GREAT company!! For $900 bucks you get a kayak with built in rails, High, Low seat, paddle and a rudder. Hard to beat that price. I used that yak on the Potomac and Monocacy river as well as the Bay. Holds a lot and tracks well.
                              Cool, maybe I will make a trip up there, do you guys think the 110 would handle as well and will a 130. I know its only two feet more but it seems like a lot more boat. Also how do you guys haul your yaks around?

Comment

Working...
                              X