No announcement yet.

Fish attractant- yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Megastrike attractant sometimes on my jigs when fishing for freshwater bass. I have noticed that while the lures covered in it do not get hit more often, the bass do hang on a split second or so longer, which is helpful as I try to figure out how to properly fish a jig. In general I find that I miss a lot more hooksets when I am in my kayak, at least when fishing bottom contact baits, as compared to when fishing the bank. Megastrike, while oily, isn't strongly scented and will stay on a porous plastic or jig skirt for a decent number of casts. As I get better at paying attention to both my yak/water conditions and my lure, I think my use of it will decrease though as it is still a bit of a mess, especially when it is hot out.

I also use it for Ned Rigs as the Zman lure really let it soak in once the salt washes out of them. I have found that with this application, sometimes panfish will grab the lure and hold on long enough for me to land them without even touching hook. When I am fishing the Ned I am out for numbers and will usually crimp my hook barb down, so any help in keeping a bass on long enough to get the hook set is helpful here as well.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I use gulp some times and do pretty well with it. I also dip my plastics in garlic dye sometimes but I don't think it has helped much. I seem to catch just as much if I don't use the dye.

Comment

I see that some do; some don't...like I said it doesn't hurt so if I get just one bite I wouldn't have without the attractant... how many times has one fish made a difference between successful trip or not?
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          I see that some do; some don't...like I said it doesn't hurt so if I get just one bite I wouldn't have without the attractant... how many times has one fish made a difference between successful trip or not?
          One exact time comes to mind. C&O canal at Dickerson. All day trying to fish a frog, a few blowups no fish. Right at dusk I tied on a jig and tried the more open water. In the falling light I see biggest bass of my life, like this guy would be at home in the tank at a Bass Pro. I cast the jig and hop it by her. She grabs it and I set the hook. I set it so hard that I swear the jig made a little sonic boom when it flew only inches past my face. I might have married that bass if I had caught her.

I am learning to give it a split second before setting, but the scent does calm my nerves a bit and makes me believe that the bass will hold it a bit longer.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Great thread. I was so afraid when I started to read it that people would say the attractants worked... I hated using the stuff and ruined multiple lures. Also, great point about scent on your hands fro getting gas, etc.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

man... apparently the Gulp tub doesn't seem properly or user error... that stuff is really hard to get rid of.

It got all over my tackle and hosing it down with water doesn't remove it. I know flounder love Gulp but I'm not sure if I want to buy another...
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thought I'd bump an old thread.

From what I've read about attractants:

1. Oil based is messier, but has much better staying power vs a liquid based attractant
                2. If using an oil attractant, you must keep your soft lure in an air tight container (ziplock, tupperware, etc) or it will shrink and ruin the lure
                3. It's a good idea to continually soak your lures in an attractant and pull out your lure when using and then return to your container to re-soak
                4. Never leave your hook in your lure while it is soaking in the attractant
                5. Attractants can change the color or your lure over time
                6. Choose a scent that is specific to the fish's diet (crawfish, shad, etc)

Of the attractants I researched, the ones that most prefer (at least for Bass fishing) are:

1. Gulp Alive
                2. JJ's Magic
                3. Megastrike
                4. Liquid Mayhem

I'm going to get a tube of Megastrike and Liquid Mayhem and put a couple squeezes into two different ziplock bags with a couple senko's and see how it goes.

smithmal
                Last edited by smithmal; 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM.
                smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

I use Pro Cure Menhaden and Bunker...the really thick squeeze plastic containers...and just put one dab on the soft plastics...they usually only last three or four fish before replacing the bodies...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have had good success with gulp. I have also tried dipping my plastics in garlic dye, but have noticed no difference in their effectiveness. As for gasoline, in Lenny Rudow's book he says that the people from Berkley tested different substances and that gasoline smell had no effect on fish but that deet was a huge turn off.

Comment

WD 40 works as well. Caught a lot of walleye back in the days before widely available scents. That and my dad was cheap.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I use Pro Cure Menhaden and Bunker...the really thick squeeze plastic containers...and just put one dab on the soft plastics...they usually only last three or four fish before replacing the bodies...
                        +1 on Pro Cure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        -manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Pro Cure seems like they have a lot of products depending upon your target fish. Has anyone tried any Pro Cure products for fresh water fishing?

smithmal
                          smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                          Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
                          X