Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance Mark 4 died, suggestions for next FF

Hi all,

I didn't get out last year but I'm ready to head back out tomorrow to break off the rust and have some perching fun. Today I noticed that my Lowrance Mark 4 died. It won't turn on. It has power, but nothing. I think it's an SD slot on the bottom and it has some corrosion on it so I'm guessing it corroded through there and died. Any suggestions for a relatively low cost Fish Finder to replace it with for my Hobie Outback. It would be nice to be able to use the existing transducer which I think is 83/200. If there's a hot new product out there I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions.

Thanks

Unfortunately it's not cheap, but it's the coolest imagery available. Humminbird with Mega Imaging. I've had mine for a couple of months and I can't believe how cool it is.

crab pot.jpgS00877.jpgS00896.jpg

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
      Hi all,

I didn't get out last year but I'm ready to head back out tomorrow to break off the rust and have some perching fun. Today I noticed that my Lowrance Mark 4 died. It won't turn on. It has power, but nothing. I think it's an SD slot on the bottom and it has some corrosion on it so I'm guessing it corroded through there and died. Any suggestions for a relatively low cost Fish Finder to replace it with for my Hobie Outback. It would be nice to be able to use the existing transducer which I think is 83/200. If there's a hot new product out there I'd appreciate hearing your suggestions.

Thanks
      Are you sure power is getting to the unit?
      I had a similar problem with my Lowrance FF after a period of long storage, and it turned out to be the inline fuse/circuit breaker on the wiring. Replaced it with a new fuse and it was back up and running in no time.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Hunt around on ebay for some mark 4s, there was a time right as they were discontinued that places were selling them for as low as $40, so a ton of people bought them up. They pop up for sale, new in box, for around 100-150 or so on there often. I got my elite 4hdi (similar to the mark 4, but color and with a few other features) for $150 right as it was being discontinued. There are a few options from garmin too in the 100-200$ range, not sure how much you want to spend. Alan's def got one of the best setups out there, but his, and the top of the line lowrance hds systems, will run anywhere from 15-30x the price that I paid for mine. I know you said relatively low cost, so i would lean towards the options i mentioned. Oh and make sure to exhaust every possibility before truly coming to the conclusion that yours is toast, check wiring, fuses, connections, etc. You can also contact lowrance and trade in older models towards the purchase of newer models, but they may have to be in working condition, i'm not sure

Comment

First I would try your Lowrance head on some else's kayak just to make sure the wiring didn't go bad.
          Mine quit last year it was the power cord. a new cord from amazon took care of that

I would get another Lowrance the latest modlel I think is a hook 4
          same mounts and same transducer and wiring
          Red Hobie outback
          Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Thanks all. The fuse is fine, and I checked voltage on a pin pair last night. But I will give it another check today to see if I missed anything. On the plus side, I got the yak out today for the first time in 16 months and had some fun with perch on the Severn this morning.

Comment

I thought my Elite 4 HDI unit was dead as well. Checked battery and was getting juice to the unit. In my case, just not enough juice. Battery was bad but it wasn't until I checked on another setup that I realized it.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Is that the 7ti?
                Gregory
                ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                2014 Pro Angler 12
                '

Comment

just want to say try this first...with the unit OFF hold down the + and - sign at the same time.... KEEP THEM DOWN power on the unit... KEEP THEM PRESSED DOWN... let the unit power all the way on... it should reset the internals completely.... I had a unit take a shit on me last week in a tourney.. come home submitted my warranty and was about to replace mine when the 2nd time I called the guy that was helping me actually knew how to fix mine over the phone and that was the method.. try it before you trash it
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Thanks suicyderider, but it didn't work. My unit has no breath of life at all. No flicker or anything. Across two pins I'm getting a good steady 12.5V but no matter what I push there's no sign of life. I like the cool new tech (CHIRP and downscan) that I didn't have before so I'm getting excited about a new FF, but I'm not real happy with the quality of Lowrance. Of course that's based on a sample of one, but I can't afford to get a new one every year or two.

Comment

Thanks suicyderider, but it didn't work. My unit has no breath of life at all. No flicker or anything. Across two pins I'm getting a good steady 12.5V but no matter what I push there's no sign of life. I like the cool new tech (CHIRP and downscan) that I didn't have before so I'm getting excited about a new FF, but I'm not real happy with the quality of Lowrance. Of course that's based on a sample of one, but I can't afford to get a new one every year or two.
                      If i pay shipping can i have it and the transducer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                        If i pay shipping can i have it and the transducer?

Nope, sorry. I'm a tinkerer so I will eventually take the sucker apart, see what's up and if I can fix it I'll put it in my second kayak that my brother in law uses when he visits.

Comment

Nope, sorry. I'm a tinkerer so I will eventually take the sucker apart, see what's up and if I can fix it I'll put it in my second kayak that my brother in law uses when he visits.
                          Worth asking.. good lucm w it if u fix it let ua know

LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I would send it to Lowrance, if it is beyond economical repair, they will give you a deal on the upgraded model. Plus, you might be able to use your old transducer, and not have to rewire. They will include the adapter plug wire. My Elite 4 HDI broke its pins last year, I sent it in, keep my map chip, and have a new Hook 4 for under $150 if memory serves me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
                              I would send it to Lowrance, if it is beyond economical repair, they will give you a deal on the upgraded model. Plus, you might be able to use your old transducer, and not have to rewire. They will include the adapter plug wire. My Elite 4 HDI broke its pins last year, I sent it in, keep my map chip, and have a new Hook 4 for under $150 if memory serves me.
                              Thanks, that's a good idea. BTW, how do you like the Hook 4?

Comment

Working...
                              X