MD DNR Catch Surveys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MD DNR Catch Surveys?

Was fishing out of Lapidum this morning, when loading back up a guy who identifying himself as the DNR approached me. I figured he was checking licenses so I pulled my license out but he insisted he wasn't a ranger, but it was for a recreational fishing survey? I thought they only did those online or by mail? He asked about what species I was targeting, how many fish were caught, and did I keep any fish or release them all? Additionally he asked for Zip Code how often I fish and how much did I spend on the trip. Is this a common thing, I know the rangers will do license and fish checks but I never heard of this?
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Virginia does it all the time...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've done it a few times this year. I always try to answer their questions and help out. I figure it only benefits the fishery.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I was approached last year for the same DNR survey at the Sandy Point ramp after coming in on a boat. He asked if I would volunteer my phone number. I did and I was later called by the DNR to verify the info I had given the surveyor.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Went out of Jonas Saturday, had the same dnr survey. Glady answered to help spread the vitality of recreational fishery to the MD economy
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I've seen the position advertised on job boards for VA and MD. It's a good way to get some data on the impact of the recreational fishery, such as how much money did you spend that day for fishing. I usually don't have any keeper fish when I'm checked, so I always ask them if they'll check when I have a big one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            J

Comment

Thanks I didn't realize it was such a common occurrence, yes I was happy to answer the questions especially if it helps conservation and the future of fishing.
              Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
              X