Big blues in the bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big blues in the bay?

I keep hearing reports of large bluefish in the Chesapeake. Two years ago was a decent year for smaller ones, but last year they didn't seem to turn left when they reached the bay.

It seems early to hear these reports, especially where I'm located (Edgewater/Annapolis area) so I'm assuming these blues are still further south? Can someone who's caught one give me an idea of how far north you were?

The reason why I ask is I was throwing a BKD on a 1 oz skirted jig yesterday at some pilings in about 14 ft of water and a moment after the lure hit the water drag started squealing like crazy. Also, there weren't the typical head pops that a striper gives and it wasn't a dead weight like a CNR. Finally, the leader attached to the braided broke. Wondering if I ran into a big blue yesterday in Franklin Manor/Shady Side/Deale area.

So, have you caught a blue yet this year and how far north were you?
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

There were a couple of blues by the Bay Bridge rock piles. The big ones were caught further south. By now, who knows, maybe we're getting a slug of big ones coming up. Last year there were a lot of blue off Love Point in the main stem.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Working...
    X