Buzzards Bay 5/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzards Bay 5/28

Fished from sunrise till around 9:30am. Mostly a rising tide. Caught a few dozen seabass. All on 1-2oz spro jigs with 4 inch gulp. Kept 5. Here they are. IMG_0804.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Keepers were 17-20inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

beautiful fish. Do the blueish ones have blue flesh?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

White flesh. Big males get blueish and knots on their heads. Females stay brown. From what I've read they start as females and then at some point get darker colored and eventually blueish coloration.

Comment

Ok, I wasn't sure if they were like the blue lingcod. I've only caught small ones on the kayak and went on one deep drop trip a few years ago where we loaded up on seabass up to 4 lbs, but dont remember them looking blue.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm not sure if maybe they get more blue during the spawn or if it is something different about the northern versions. I used to fish some wrecks short of B buoy off Indian River Inlet and every once in a while one would be blueish, but not nearly as dramatic.

Comment

Wow... pretty fish. Where is Buzzards Bay?
                2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Massachusetts. Just south of the Bourne Bridge and canal. seabass come in to spawn. Otherwise it's a long paddle to get anything other than small fish. Most people just keep the males, so that the females can drop their eggs with the assumption that you don't need as many males to do the job. The males are that cool blue color. Females are brown.

Comment

Was out there a few times myself recently. Caught a bunch of sea bass and a couple fluke. Mostly just above keeper size and females, but I managed to land some real nice low to mid 20s fish.
                    tmp_18339-20170613_090041-011076077645.jpg
                    20170612_122541-01.jpg
                    tmp_18339-20170612_112611-011857049126.jpg

Comment

Nice looking sea bass. I'll be out at the crack of dawn on Father's Day for my last sea bass trip this year. The fluke should be getting better as the sea bass leave with the warming water.

Comment

I was thinking about heading over this weekend also. Forecast looks tough for Sunday though. Ssw 14kt. Maybe it will be calm enough for a quick sunrise trip. I got a nice 21" fluke tues on artificial at beginning of current, but did not hang around to pull more drifts for fluke. I think current should be good at sunrise both sat and sun.

Comment

Yeah the wind is going to be tough Sunday. I will probably be on and off after a couple of hours. Saturday is the better option, but I have family stuff all day. Good luck if you get out!

Comment

Got out this morning from sunrise till around 7:30am. Wind started to crank, but still caught plenty of fish. Kept 5 in the 17-20 inch rangeIMG_0917.JPG

Comment

I wish we had good sea bass within kayak range of the Mid-Atlantic. Good eats!
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X