The Simple Pleasures of Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Simple Pleasures of Perch

2017 has not been good to me from a fishing perspective. At least it feels that way to me. This year, I have been on a quest to find bigger and stronger fish to scratch the itch for screaming drag. I have chased Red and Black Drum in Florida - unsuccessfully. I’ve cast to gator Bluefish in DE (OK, I did pretty well there), traveled to NY and RI in search of big bass and made numerous trips throughout the upper bay, but a few nice fish aside, the number of skunks recorded in my fishing log is astonishing.

Today was a bit of an epiphany to me. As the spring Rockfish migration works it’s way north, I’ve lamented my lack of consistent success and chalked it up to a multitude of factors, not the least of which being my own inexperience. What I came to remember is that I need to keep reminding myself that I am relatively new to the game and I shouldn’t compare myself to others when judging success. I just need to put in the time, pay attention and be better than I was last year. Every trip, even the stinky ones, is a learning opportunity that will pay dividends down river.

Up to this point in ‘17, I haven’t targeted White Perch because there was no potential for a blistering run, no rush from the sweet serenade of line peeling off the reel and no “challenge” in catching them.

Yesterday, I snuck out of work early with the intent to fish. I made a mental checklist, based on wind, weather and tide, of my options for chasing Rockfish. I had the energy, but lacked the psychological fortitude needed. The thought of another skunk disheartened me. In short, I was lazy. Still, going home and watching TV wasn’t what I had used brownie points to sneak out of work for.

Accepting this, I “settled” to fish within several hundred yards of my house and target perch. I remembered them fondly from last year as saving more than one trip from that awful skunky stink, so I dusted off my ultralight rods and rooted around for my tiny perch rigs.

As I pushed away from the launch, I knew that I had made the right decision. I forgot my “need” to do battle with big fish and remembered why I love fishing in the first place - to be outside, embracing nature and trying to use my tiny brain to match wits with our pescetarian cousins. In short, leaving the rest of my life on shore while my ass is in my kayak.

The tide was 2 hours from flood, winds were light and the water temp was 70 degrees. All the environmental factors for a successful trip were in place so I started pitching a 1/16 oz jig head with a 2” twister tail. It didn’t take long to hook into my first perch. At 7”, it still had the ability to thrill me on the UL gear. I completely forgot any lingering angst about screaming drag and settled in to catch more.

After a couple of dozen perch landed (mostly small), I considered heading to shore to enjoy dinner with my wife. I opted, rather, to text her and propose she get a pizza that we could share, picnic style, on the beach.

After enjoying some of Vizziny’s finest, the urge to keep fishing pulled me back to the water. Dusk was started to settle in and I was eager to take advantage of the high tide and corpuscular feeding activity. I pointed the bow towards my favorite dock for these conditions. It has a light that hits the water perfectly and attracts bait from the surrounding area.

The marks on my Lowrance were a bit confusing. I was seeing a lot of activity but not the traditional displays of fish on my screen. It didn’t take long, however, to convince me that I was above an active school of perch that shared the same affinity for the lit dock. I started catching fish on almost every cast. On more than one occasion, the depth sounding went from 5’-6’ to 2’-3’ as the number of fish below me created a false read.

At one point I stipulated that I didn’t even need the plastic on the hook and chuckled to myself that I could probably catch them on just the jighead. I opted to try it and proceeded to throw the tiny jig into the mix and hooked up with the same frequency as when it was fully rigged.

Finally, as the hour approached 10, my wife texted me and reminded me as to the time. What was supposed to have been a quick 2 hour jaunt turned into a 6 hour marathon. I had fallen into a rhythm of cast and connect and she served as a reality check. I left them biting and headed for shore.

At the end of the day, I was quite content. I have no way of knowing what my actual catch was, but it was far north of 50. Most were in the 8’ - 9” range but there were a couple up to 11”. I even had some micro bass in the mix.

The lesson for me was that rather than my needing to chase bigger and stronger fish all the time, I can be very happy fishing seasonally with the species that are present and abundant. I just need to shake off the primordial quest for battle long enough to remember it.
    Last edited by EMSer; 05-28-2017, 10:23 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Great post Bruce! You always bring it home and give us the right outlook / perspective. Just to be out in that Yak and catching fish is a great day all around.

Tight-Lines

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Outstanding report.
      Sometimes it is the simple of act of fishing that is the most important part.
      The species doesn't matter.

Comment

Bruce,

I'm glad you're "seeing the light" that big is not all there is when it comes to kayak fishing. We all enjoy the rush of a screaming drag. But I can fish happily without hearing that sound. My kayak, white perch and light tackle have combined to show me that tidal waters offer more than constantly chasing big fish.

I absolutely love to target perch. I love where they live at this time of year...quiet scenic waters on the tributaries of our beautiful Chesapeake Bay.

And I would dispute with you that they not a challenge. Target larger ones with bigger smaller baits. Yes, I said that correctly. Catch them on lures you made. Catch them on the fly. Slide a perfect cast into the shade under an overhanging branch. Learn how to curve a fly to drop behind a dock piling. Throw that spinner so that it comes down like a parachute without making a ripple in quiet water. Catching 10 and 11 inchers with regularity can indeed be a challenge.

So, thank you for a great report and reminding us that there are more ways to enjoy our plastic boats than chasing big fish in big waters.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark brings up some great points.

Years ago, in my "fly fishing purist" days, I read an article by one of the "fishing philosophers" who said that fisherman go through three stages:
          They want to catch the most fish
          They want to catch the biggest fish
          They want to catch the most challenging fish.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post

Years ago, in my "fly fishing purist" days, I read an article by one of the "fishing philosophers" who said that fisherman go through three stages:
            They want to catch the most fish
            They want to catch the biggest fish
            They want to catch the most challenging fish.
            Stu,

I can definitely relate to that evolution. I would add to the third point that I want to catch them on my terms. Sometimes they reject my methods. But when they don't I feel great satisfaction. So when others are trolling wth success I may be off on the edges casting. When spinners are nailing perch on every cast, I may put down the spinning rod and pick up the fly rod.

Bruce,

I apologize for hijacking your post. You made a great point about enjoying another aspect of our hobby. I was moved to add to it because I could relate so strongly to what you said.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good read! And thank heavens for a tolerant spouse!!
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

Yep- Bignose-I been through the entire list at least once...and back to the beginning again- other than being a lot of fun on UL gear, White Perch are delicious on the table...catch a stringerfull of 10-12 inch fish and get out the fryer- yumm...and I say the same thing about school stripers- if that is what is biting, scale down to lighter tackle and just have fun...a mixed bag is always there for you...90% of my redfish catches were made fishing for white perch...
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-28-2017, 12:03 PM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Fantastic and insightful post Bruce, as always [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Very nice! I went out crabbing yesterday on the Severn and although the crabs were not very plentiful, the big perch certainly were! It had been a while since I'd been out on the yak as my second son was born at the beginning of the month. Although plan A didn't work out, this short 3 hour outing with great perch action was very satisfying!
                    18673208_10103518104791775_6862338451554031709_o.jpg
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice post, I need to get out and try for some perch. I tried again for some gator blues at Cape Henlopen on Saturday and struck out again. One small Tog kept me from a skunk.

Comment

Bruce: Great post. I started to target WP last year. I had a blast. Next got skunked, always had fun. One time in particular, I came back in to Jonas Green park and I saw a really old gentleman struggling to get out of his van into wheel chair. He grabbed his fishing gear and looked excited as a 10 year old going fishing.

I don't know why, but I stopped him and gave him my WP. He was so excited. I got the feeling that he did not catch much. I decided right then that I need to be more like him. Just happy to be fishing.

BTW: I have severe hip arthritis and will be getting a new hip soon. Lot's of pain and walk with a cane. But, I'll be dragging my Kayak to the launch Friday. I'm hoping for some rock fish, but bringing along my perch rods--just in case. I am going to try to get my hip replacement this winter, as not to spoil the fishing season.

Thanks again for the great post.

Best Regards,
                        Stan
                        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Way to go, Stan..great that you gave your catch to that elderly gentleman...we all are getting older- my Orthopedic Doc has wanted to replace my knees for a while...the Mirage Drive keeps up the muscle tone in my legs- otherwise I probably would have had to have the surgery...and I agree that big white perch on UL gear is really fun fishing-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I got out this morning for a couple of hours of perching on Weeks Creek.
                            I did manage a J.Rentch sighting, and I hope that you did better than I did.

4 perch in two hours and small ones at that.
                            I found all of my fish in a 20 yard section of rip rap in 8 feet of water and casting parallel to the shore.
                            The water was fairly clear below Tucker Street, nearly 3 feet of visibility. Above the bridges it was a bit less.
                            It was a very high tide that started going out as I was fishing.
                            At least there wasn't as much grass in the water.

I did manage to get my new Hook 4 Fish finder working, and tested the magnetic transducer mount (Fish Finder Mounts.com). This worked well.
                            Just waiting for the fish..........

Comment

Stu,
                              Nice meeting you this afternoon. I trolled my Ultimate down the western side of the Severn below Weems. Hooked a 17" rock on a white Rattletrap. First time for that. Hit the reeds along the Rt 450 bridge with little success. Think it was too sunny and shade at 12:30. Water level was high due to SE winds, so was sure I would hook up some. So, my afternoon was not any better than yours. Was nice to feel the sun on your body after the last week of cloudy, rainy weather.
                              John Rentch
                              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                              X