What size braid for new setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size braid for new setup?

Managed to snag a Falcon Coastal 7'6" Saltwater Spinning Rod at a really decent price, am going to pair it with a size 4000 reel and plan on using braid. It's a very light, thin and sensitive rod but seems to have the backbone to handle larger fish. It's designed for fishing coastal bays for reds, flounder and such but definitely has the sensitivity and action to handle smaller fish. I would like to be able to cast light lures even maybe small enough for white perch or similar but at the same time like to be assured if I get something I fairly large size I'm not in trouble. It will make a nice all around rod if I can pull it off. I know I'm on a kayak forum and will be using from the kayak but there may be times the rod is used shore fishing and I'm hoping to end up with an nice all purpose setup.

Would appreciate any thoughts or experience anyone could share. I'm leaning to maybe 15 or 20lb but would like to even possibly get a little lower say 12 or so.

I'd go with 12 if you wanted to cast smaller lighter lures. That should handle the vast majority of fish you'll tangle with. I have 8 lb mono on my perch rod and I've landed 24" rockfish with it. Just keep your drag set a tad light and enjoy.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

IMO, 15lb or 20lb braid is about right (I use 20lb). Any lighter and the braid diameter is really, really thin and you run the risk of wind knots, line slipping off the spool unintentionally, or the line "digging" into itself and affecting your casting distance. *This was my experience a few years ago when I faced your same dilemma.
      Better yet, if your reel comes with two spools, set one up with 15/20lb braid for rockfish and set up the other with 8lb mono - just like Big Mike suggested - for the perch. You'll have less line on the spool with the mono, but then again you're not targeting wahoo, but rather the more docile perch :-)
      If a second spool is not an option, then tie on a small diameter fluorocarbon leader to the 15/20lb braid. Fluorocarbon is nearly invisible underwater and helps when water clarity is high.

BL: the rod has a line and lure rating on it, keep to that rating and you should be fine.
      Last edited by baitball; 05-26-2017, 06:33 AM.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks for the input but Dammit! You two guys are as bad as my own head. This is what I been going back and forth with. As of now. I'm thinking I may have try one with a spool of twelve that I already have that I thought to heavy for another setup. I did fish one last week with a way small reel with 8lb braid, really enjoyed the casting distance but did end up with a wind knot it is hard to work with tying knots. The eight also broke very easy at the wind knot while i was trying to get it out. The braid I have is the kastking stuff and I think a little thicker than brand name stuff and the twelve may be a nice compromise. I'm am also thinking that the 15 might be ideal even with losing a little casting distance as I was a little concerned at how easy the eight braid failed with the knot in it and don't know how much better the twelve will be. BTW the rating is Line: 10 - 20, Lure 1/4 - 3/4 so we are all talking stuff in range.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
          Thanks for the input but Dammit! You two guys are as bad as my own head. This is what I been going back and forth with. As of now. I'm thinking I may have try one with a spool of twelve that I already have that I thought to heavy for another setup. I did fish one last week with a way small reel with 8lb braid, really enjoyed the casting distance but did end up with a wind knot it is hard to work with tying knots. The eight also broke very easy at the wind knot while i was trying to get it out. The braid I have is the kastking stuff and I think a little thicker than brand name stuff and the twelve may be a nice compromise. I'm am also thinking that the 15 might be ideal even with losing a little casting distance as I was a little concerned at how easy the eight braid failed with the knot in it and don't know how much better the twelve will be. BTW the rating is Line: 10 - 20, Lure 1/4 - 3/4 so we are all talking stuff in range.
          I would also suggest 20lb. I use it on my light outfits also....both are 3000 stradics. They can cast 1/8 oz jig heads with no problem and then turn around and have enough strength to land a 28" red. I tried 12 lb braid and did not see a difference in casting distance, so I now opt for more strength.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            I would also suggest 20lb. I use it on my light outfits also....both are 3000 stradics. They can cast 1/8 oz jig heads with no problem and then turn around and have enough strength to land a 28" red. I tried 12 lb braid and did not see a difference in casting distance, so I now opt for more strength.

I fish 10-lb Powerpro on my Stradic 1000 reels. The rest of my reels are Stradic 2500 or 3000 -- they all get 20-lb Powerpro. For a 4000 series reel, you are likely to have a large spool. Unless you fill the spool most of the way with backing, you will wind a whole lot of lower test line on that spool.

Your new combo is a 7'6" rod and 4000 series reel. That sounds like it is intended for trolling, bottom fishing, or casting heavier lures for larger fish. It may not be a good fit for throwing very light lures for perch.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

20# Power Pro is the same diameter as 6# mono. A 4000 series reel will indeed consume a lot of 20# braided line as John says. I use the 20# Power Pro on all my reels, from baitcasters to ultralight spinning reels. It's plenty strong for the larger fish I catch, which admittedly are not the beasts I see posted by some here. It's also light enough to cast small lures for white perch and pickerels.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I fish 10-lb Powerpro on my Stradic 1000 reels. The rest of my reels are Stradic 2500 or 3000 -- they all get 20-lb Powerpro. For a 4000 series reel, you are likely to have a large spool. Unless you fill the spool most of the way with backing, you will wind a whole lot of lower test line on that spool.

Your new combo is a 7'6" rod and 4000 series reel. That sounds like it is intended for trolling, bottom fishing, or casting heavier lures for larger fish. It may not be a good fit for throwing very light lures for perch.
                It rated 10-20 for line and 1/4-3/4 but it's far from a bottom fishing rod and definitely not a trolling rod. It a caster and tapers almost to a ultralight size tip and has a good bit of whip to it. I can't quite picture it with 3/4 but if it can handle it I'm willing to try and glad it will. It's kind of a strange rod in that it is quite thin and sensitive but supposedly has the oomph to pull in the big ones. Wife was casting an 1/8 jig head on the temporary reel with 8lb on it and it handled well with a great casting distance. The perch and small smallmouth she caught gave it some bend. That's why it has given me the idea of going as low as I can go for the times if and when I would use it from shore or wading. The 400o series I mention teaming it with is a shimano nexave and is on the small size and seems closer to 3000 size to me. It holds 200yds of 10lb.
                Last edited by DonV; 05-26-2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If you are going to fish for perch I would use no more than a 2500 reel. A 2500 reel with 10 or 15 lb braid is all you need. My perch rods have either 4 lb fire line or 6 lb nanofill and I have landed nice rockfish and (1 lucky weekend nice red fish) on those rods..

Comment

So I guess I'm the odd duck in the group, yet again. I go with 30 Lbs braid and 10 to 15 fluro leader on a 3000 with a a 7 foot medium fast tip rod. I grew up fishing for cats and bass so I like the a heavy line. I have not had any issues catching perch on this setup. For trout I use a 6 Lbs leader same size braid. I believe 30 Lbs braid is equal in diameter to 8 mono. Also I like Spider wire for braid.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I have gone the lighter and lighter route- I have stored all my heavier tackle- got a big workshop with a second story floored attic...I have figured that in a kayak you can only put so much pressure on a fish- 10# test would do fine, but my spinning outfits I now use are all 2500-3000 reels (Sustains and Stradics) spooled with 20 # braid on the Sustain 3000 FG on a Penn Battalion 7' medium action rod, 10#Braid on the 2500 CI4(+) on a St. Croix Mojo Inshore light action 7' rod , 15# Braid on the Sustain 2500FE ona medium action 7' Castaway rod, and 15# Braid on the Stradic Fl on a 7' medium action Shimano SE Inshore Rod...on my UL Pflueger Supreme I use 6# test Berkley Nano on a 7' Cabela's Fish Eagle UL rod...it is my perch favorite...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        I have gone the lighter and lighter route- I have stored all my heavier tackle- got a big workshop with a second story floored attic...I have figured that in a kayak you can only put so much pressure on a fish- 10# test would do fine, but my spinning outfits I now use are all 2500-3000 reels (Sustains and Stradics) spooled with 20 # braid on the Sustain 3000 FG on a Penn Battalion 7' medium action rod, 10#Braid on the 2500 CI4(+) on a St. Croix Mojo Inshore light action 7' rod , 15# Braid on the Sustain 2500FE ona medium action 7' Castaway rod, and 15# Braid on the Stradic Fl on a 7' medium action Shimano SE Inshore Rod...on my UL Pflueger Supreme I use 6# test Berkley Nano on a 7' Cabela's Fish Eagle UL rod...it is my perch favorite...
                        Think mine would most likely match your St Croix Mojo and after reading all the feedback think I have decided that 15 is going to be it. Thanks everybody for the input.

Anyone ever had any of the Coastal rods? I had never heard of them but I'm pretty impressed. They run about $100 but Academy had it for $35 on sale for a few minutes online and I was lucky enough to get while the getting was good. It gets some really good reviews but there is some question as to how the company honors the 5 year warranty. Really impressed with it so far. Thing is just damn pretty and feels good and handles well.

You can see it here if interested.https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Rods-C...GMC?th=1&psc=1

Comment

That looks like a great rod for $35

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Sorry to hijack the thread but is the sustain worth the extra money than the stradic. I am considering getting one.

Comment

I love my two...smooth drag, smooth retrieve, casts great- I don't figure to have to replace them anytime soon...should last me my life time...Falcon Rods are good rods...
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X