New Kayak Access- St. George's Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak Access- St. George's Island

I met with a homeowner on St. Georges's Island yesterday- he has agreed to allow us to use his place to launch our kayaks and park- and he is just going to put up a tip jar for "donations"...there is parking for approximately 20-25 vehicles. Mr. Russell is 75 years old and a very nice man- he and I had a really good visit...his place is directly across from Fin and Claw and the last house on St. George's Island Road...this will give us direct access to another fishing area- the mouth of St. Mary's River...Mr. Russell is putting up a sign so we will know where to park...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

That is awesome.......I know the Russell family.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I ran into Jack today when I snuck down after the storms for a quick trip (wind not in my favor) and he mentioned opening it in early June. Great guy and ex-county commissioner as well as a life long waterman. Sounded like he may occasionally have crabs for sale as well.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Good Deal Ron and guys. I appreciate the access. What a difference ST Mary's County residents make access easy for it citizens

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Thumps up!
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Great News!
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recr...iclandings.asp

^ This lists two launches nearby:

17139 Piney Point Rd, Piney Point, MD 20674 - Per the chart this is listed as both a launch and a boat ramp. When I google, the address shows as the Post Office and there does not appear to be a boat ramp?

16036 Thomas Rd., St. George Island - This appears to be an actual boat launch/ramp, but the chart does not have an asterisk in the boat ramp column.

Having another launch point in St Mary's is always a good omen.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Piney point road is the one with twin ramps and parking for maybe 20 trailers. It puts you right in at the bridge to St George's Island. Thomas road is a very small kayak only launch with limited parking shared with a crabbing operation. It does have a pier but is a built up sea wall on the shore so my PA isn't going in there.
                Mike

Comment

St George's Island is where I launched my kayak the first time in 2004. A bunch of us from our kids school would stay in at Camp Merrylande every Father's Day weekend. It was our wive's idea of camping and being in the great outdoors, LOL. All the cabins were heated and had hot running water.

Is Camp Merrylande still in operation? They also had about ten camp sites near the beach and the pond, as I recall. Mike Evans was the proprietor. Is he still involved? Those were great memories, we went there for ten years straight until 2005. The kids grew up.

Comment

The camp is still there in all its glory.
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                      The camp is still there in all its glory.
                      Good to know Mike. That main house near the beach and pier was nice. Is Evans Seafood Restaurant still in business? It was just before the bridge on the left before getting on the island. The island is one of the best kept secrets anywhere on the Bay.

Comment

Evans seafood is long gone but a good restaurant is in its place. Here are some pictures of the launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Mike

Comment

Looks like it is ready to use now, Mike...
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for passing the word on about this great service. I've been looking for St Mary's mouth access for some time now. Is there a street address or close by reference for mapping the launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

The easiest way to describe it is to just keep driving past the Piney Point Launch on Piney Point road. Go about 2 miles until you come to the end of the road at the end of the island (don't turn on any side roads, just stay on the main road which becomes one lane as it gets closer to the end). The launch is just inside the inlet across from the breakwater wall. I'm excited to try this as it cuts significant time to get to the edges off St George's.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X