Hookset, what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hookset, what am I doing wrong?

I have had two snakehead trips. I definitely have gotten a few strikes. One of them today was amazing because I could see a wake coming after my buzz bait and then there was a violent hit. I had one that I hooked for a few seconds and then it got off. I have managed to get two really nice large mouth bass today.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a different hookset for snakehead? I have had hits on a frog, a buzz bait, and my fly rod on a popper but I haven't landed one yet this year. I am even using a trailer hook on my buzz bait.

Snakeheads clamp down on your frog...then open their mouth and swim away- and you wait until the line comes taunt before you really drive the hook home- sharpen your hooks- top water bite is a delay after the splash before striking hard to set the hook...I usually set the hook a few times on snakeheads- boom, boom, boom...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

SH have terrible eyesight - I use topwater lures, and get several 'blowups' but none take the hook. Wait until the topwater lure is submerged (successful strike) and then set the hook.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

+1^. I use soft plastics when I fish for smbass upriver from harrisburg, PA. I work the plastic minnow on the surface during summer low flow. Frequently I'll see a bow wave made by a nice smbass as it charges the lure. When a smbass is bearing down on your lure it takes a lot of discipline NOT to set the hook too soon. I'll delay the hook-set a split second after the splash before I set the hook. Hook-ups are than more reliable. Make sure the hooks are sharp too.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
        X