Piney Point 5-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point 5-24

Made plans to join Ron A at Piney this morning based on forecast for rain to be gone. Woke up to rain but radar said it should be gone by 5:30. Drove down and had a light mist so we decided to launch. The bridge was stacked with fish and my first was an 18", thought going to be an epic day. Probably caught 20 in the next half hour but size kept going down.

We decided to head to the far shore in the creek and work the edges. Caught enough to make it interesting but no keeper stripers. Sky was threatening but made for a good picture of Ron.

We ventured into slightly deeper water and I picked up this nice speck.

Started misting heavy after that but Ron picked up an undersized speck and a just barely under striper. I needed to head in and left him fishing. Hopefully March will be gone soon and I won't be in a cold mist to fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Nice trout. I'm heading down there Saturday.
    Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Sounds like a fun day, thanks for the report
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thanks for the report.
        I've been waiting for the first speck report in the upper bay.

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Big Mike and I planned a "Lower Slower" outing early in the week but the weather had kept us from going- so we decided to fish Wednesday on the long range weather forecast- it was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock at my house outside Waldorf but radar looked promising 50 miles south, so I pulled out of the driveway at 4:10 a.m. And on-to Route 5...an hour later I was in the launch site at Piney Point to a drizzle having driven through pockets of heavy rain and light rain...winds were not bad- NE at 10- so we launched at 5:20...Like Mike said lots of school fish around the bridge but no monsters seemed to be lurking so off we went down the creek- along the way we picked up a fish here and there- fishing was OK- not great but OK- I had several nice white perch- 11 1/2 inch, 10 1/2 inches and a 10 inch fish- (I won't keep any under 10 inches- just too much trouble cleaning small fish)...caught two Stripers that measured exactly 20 inches- pinched tail, that I was not going to take the chance they would shrink any- a bunch of 19 inch fish and a couple of dozen 16-18 inch fish- Big Mike had to do his Meals-on-Wheels duty Wednesday morning so he left me around 8:45 headed to the launch- the magic "turn on" came at 9-15- 9:40 am and was still going strong when I threw the towel in and headed home wore out...I had 30 (+) stripers one short speckled trout and three keeper White Perch- I threw back a few that were not 10 inches...at the launch I decided to release the three White Perch that were nice and lively on my stringer...all in all a pretty decent day on the water and I met with Jack Russell- see earlier post on new kayak launch access...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X