Somerset Co. shallows - Sunday 5/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerset Co. shallows - Sunday 5/21

I took my first trip over to the Chesapeake side of the peninsula this year last Sunday morning to check out some of the grass beds. I was primarily looking for specks, but with the size limit for stripers lowering, I figured I'd have a good chance for at least coming home with a meal.

I launched around 5am and was into the rat stripers right away and had them all day. Hot dog sized stripers were everywhere. I don't usually complain about catching fish but these things were getting annoying. Color didn't matter - they ate anything I threw. I switched out to an x-rap 10 and that found me some keeper sized fish. Unfortunately, I ended up losing the lure when a fish ran into some underwater structure I couldn't see and cut my leader. Ended up keeping a 22" bass for dinner.

I did okay with specks. Didn't burn them up like I always hope to do, but got 3 by mornings end. A 13", 17", and 21". Unlike the stripers, color did matter to them. This day it was electric chicken; tomorrow something else. I've certainly learned from experience that it's always good to carry a variety of colors speck fishing . Off the water by 10:30.

Grass beds were looking good and water was nice and clean. I sure missed those yellow-lipped vampire fangs of a speck! I'm glad to see them back again this spring.

Dinner!

Water and sky were almost a mirror image.

Stomach contents of the striper I took home for dinner. 12 baby crbas and a half-digested windowpane.
    Brian

I think it's going to be a good year for specks. Thanks for posting that beautiful fish.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

It's been a few years since I've caught a speck. That's a beauty
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I know you ate those crabs, didn't you?! Nice job on the specks!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice catch its on my to do list to get back down the lower shore this year for specs
          D Hawk
          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

nice looking spec! thanks for the report... does specs stay around during the summer in "Somerset County" area of MD?
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks all. It's been awhile since I've caught a decent speck too, so it was nice to get back on some!

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
              I know you ate those crabs, didn't you?!
              What do you think?! Popcorn crabs!

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
              nice looking spec! thanks for the report... does specs stay around during the summer in "Somerset County" area of MD?
              Yea, they are around through the summer. But when the water gets real warm in mid-July through early September you'll likely have to search deeper water to find them, or fish at night in the shallows. June can be prime time.
              Brian

Comment

good looking trout !

Comment

I went back out for a few hours this morning at a different location in Somerset County that I hadn't tried yet this year. It's probably the first time ever I can say I caught more specks then I did stripers in an outing. But they were all small, so it wasn't like I lit the world on fire with them. For the most part, they were 11 - 13". I don't know where the stripers were? I only got a few and they made the specks look big, haha!

By the end of the day I did manage to find a 15"er for dinner and drop one next to the boat that looked like it was maybe 17"ish.

I normally would have tossed a speck of that size back but I was hurting for a fresh fish meal, so in the cooler it went. The fins were fried to crispy perfection!
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

Stomach contents of the striper I took home for dinner. 12 baby crbas and a half-digested windowpane.
                    Wow! Windowpane. I heard of a guy who welded a hook on a old wrench, and that turned into his best deep-sea fishing lure. It's amazing what fish take after....

Best Regards,
                    Stan
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                    X