OBX kayak and surf fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX kayak and surf fishing

Has anybody been to the OBX in the past week or two? Anything happening? My wife and I are going down this Wednesday for a week - we always head down right after the academic year comes to a close - and I am looking for some general intel. I've been checking the fishing reports from TW"s Bait and Tackle, as well as pier reports, and it looks like there are bluefish and specks in the surf. I have a friend that lives down there and I'll be giving him a ring momentarily to find out what's happening in Oregon Inlet and the sound kayak-wise.

Thanks everybody.

TIGHT LINES!
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

There's been an excellent showing this spring of speckled trout, some puppy drum, as well as flounder in the sound behind Nagshead. Check out areas from public fishing areas and boat launches off the highway between Nagshead and Manteo. Concentrate on holes/channels (3-6') around the marshy islands with soft plastics, especially chartreuse. There's more launch points heading south but check the wind reports so you fish areas that can provide you some shelter if the winds are up. A light anchor is very helpful to hold position if you're fishing along channels with moving water or the wind. Mostly you'll be anchoring in shallow water and casting into slightly deeper waters. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X