Third Annual Trap Pond Outing -- Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Annual Trap Pond Outing -- Trip Report

Six members of the resident old guys group (Harlan Budowski, J. Rentch, J.A. Veil, Dennis Roundy, newcomer Tom Sullivan and me) ventured to Trap Pond this week for 2 nights and 3 days of fishing.

We were greeted Monday afternoon with gusting winds in the high 20s that caused us to do the sensible thing...sit down at the campsite and gorge on Royal Farms chicken and salads.

Fortunately, the wind subsided between 6:00 and 7:00 p.m. as if someone threw a switch. Out on the water each of us went to try our luck. I don't recall the specifics but I'm reasonably sure we all had decent pullage that night. John Veil reported a pickerel within 5 minutes of launching. That would set the tone as John became the pickerel master of the trip, catching far more picks than any of the other participants.

My first fish turned out to the be the best of my trip. This largemouth hit a black foam popper in the back of the pond tight to shore:

P1020738.jpg

That fish also set a tone. I primarily fly fished and mostly I used poppers. Each and every hit I had on the popper was subtle, including the good sized fish above. I caught four more bass in the 14 to 15 inch range and each barely rippled the surfaced as it sucked down the fly. That held for bluegills and crappies that also hit my popper. Like most fly anglers I like explosive surface hits. That was definitely not the case on this outing. I don't know why the fish were so subdued other than to think the extremely cool nights we had on Sunday and Monday lowered their aggressiveness.

In any case, I did manage a fair number of bass, bluegills and crappies on surface flies, although the crappies were each very small:

P1020740.jpg P1020770.jpg

Oddly, I could not hook a pickerel on the fly this trip. Normally, they attack poppers in May. John Veil was catching his on a small twister tail on a jig. Only when I tried the same method, biting an inch off the head of my 3 inch twister tail did I succeed:

P1020771.jpg

We ate and drank well. In addition to chicken on the first night we had excellent brats with onions and peppers grilled by John Rentch on night two. Harlan brought wine and snacks for both nights. Dennis and Tom brought baked beans, watermelon and firewood. John Veil brought the all important coffee and pastries for breakfast for both days.

And we had a freeloader. Here's John Veil discussing pickerel tactics from a local pond pro.

IMG_0060.jpg

The same duck with distinctive head markings visited us last year. It was then that we learned he likes fried chicken. This year we learned he also likes Italian subs. In fact, there was nothing from our table that this duck would not eat.

Here's Harlan and John Rentch relaxing after dinner, decked out in Snaggedline gear:

P1020762.jpg

And here's Tom and Dennis on the water:

P1020764.jpg P1020767.jpg

Dennis was fighting a nice pickerel in the above shot.

So thanks guys for a real nice trip. We'll certainly do it again.

Wait, there's more! -- John Veil and Harlan, even though they had their fill of pickerels at trap, decided they wanted to catch even more toothy fish. On Wednesday morning they headed to relatively nearby Ocean City to hunt down those chopper blues that others have mentioned here on Snaggedline. I know they had success and I look forward to their report and photos.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-17-2017, 04:03 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great report and looks like you guys had a grand old time. Nice bass on the fly!
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Would like to add to Mark's report on our annual Trapp Pond visit. If you have never been here, it is a lovely spot. Trapp Pond is a Cypress Pond located in Laurel, Del. It is a state park run by the Del. DNR. It is a typical pond with lots of open water, but also areas covered with Lily Pads ( these are just ready to pop open 2017-05-15 16.17.01.jpg

This time of year the Cypress trees are pollinating, and the surface of the water verifies this in the early morning hours as the sun is rising over the trees. 2017-05-16 07.33.31.jpg

My trip catch was not spectacular, but I did manage to catch a species that should not be there 2017-05-16 08.10.01.jpg. Probably some good hearted soul felt that the pond needed a new species.

At the end of the day's fishing and meal, we would gather around the campfire and discuss our stratagey for the next days fishing 2017-05-16 20.32.15.jpg. All in all, it was a very enjoyable time, and good fellowship among folks- even those of use that fish saltwater most of the time. Thanks Mark for putting this together .
      Last edited by J. Rentch; 05-17-2017, 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice outing gents... Great food, good friends and fishing too...

That's good living guys

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Glad you all had good time
          Harry

Comment

It was an enjoyable two days. After our welcoming high winds, we had fishable weather the rest of the time. Mark mentioned that I had a hot hand on pickerel. I have never done particularly well on pickerel in Trap Pond, but they found my twistertails yesterday. I caught 7 pickerels with a 21.5" and a 22" fish.

IMGP0001.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

sounds like good times... thanks for the report!
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

If your talking yellow perch shouldn't be there I believe they are native. I don't fish trap pond much but have pulled yellow perch out of there 30 years ago.
                Last edited by willf650; 05-19-2017, 04:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
                1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                2015 Coosa HD
                2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Thanks did not know that fact regarding Yellows. Will remember that fact.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                  X