Need help red drum fishing in Eastern Shore VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help red drum fishing in Eastern Shore VA

Hey guys! Long time lurker here and I finally made an account because I need some saltwater help. I'm normally a freshwater kayak fisherman but living in Salisbury has made me want to venture to try what's around me. I want to kayak fish for red drum in the flats of Virginia, but i don't wish to go any further than Kiptopeke, since anything beyond would be a trek. I've heard onancock creek can be promising , as well as Wachapreague. Could you guys give me some locations that would be my best bet to catch red drum? Any tips and tricks? I would greatly appreciate it ! Thanks !

Hi Ted,
    Welcome to snagged. Great place. I fish extensively for red drum on the ESVA basically from Spring through to Fall. Like you said in your post, there are reds on both the bayside and seaside. The time of the year will have an impact on which class reds will be around. Typically in the spring you'll find lager Bulls, over 40". As summer progresses and fall arrives; larger fish are still around but puppy reds will also be present. My biggest suggestion to you is to explore some of the bayside areas first before you venture seaside. Drum like tidal flats and places where they can forage. Trolling/casting swim shads and soaking bait (such as whole crab or cut bait) are both effective ways to target them

This fishery takes patience and practice. Most people are not going to share their bull red drum honey holes with you. They are kind of earned through several trips exploring and learning. I also live in Salisbury btw. If you have specific questions about gear or tactics, I'll be happy to help cut the learning curve a little so when you do find them you are prepared. Be prepared for an obsession if you catch one because they pull like no other.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
    X