Severn perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn perch

I caught some nice perch fishing dropoffs in 5 to10 feet of water.using green roostertail

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's a nice-looking stringer.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I saw Metalman on the water yesterday. It was my first Severn perch outing of the year -- I caught about 15 perch in a variety of areas between the two bridges. I did not work any area very hard -- it was an exploratory trip to see if perch were in yet and where they were.

Over the past six years, I generally found my first shallow water shoreline perch during the second week of May. Yesterday matched that schedule precisely. The perch are not thick in the shoreline areas yet, but the first wave of perch are in place. They should grow more abundant as the water warms.

Most of my perch were small but I had one that was nearly 12" -- it thrashed off the hook as I grabbed the leader. I caught one on a 2" twistertail -- the rest hit a Bignose spinner. All of my perch were returned to the water.

003.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The perch are back in the Severn which is great news but the stripers made only a token appearance.

Good catching, guys.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X