Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tautog & Chopper Bluefish (05/11/17 - CHSP, DE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tautog & Chopper Bluefish (05/11/17 - CHSP, DE)

Air 52 F, Water: 56-57 F on May 11th, 2017

We’ve been having kayak-fishing-unfriendly days (windy and rainy days) for a while. On May 11th, the last of the spring tautog season in DE, I headed for CHSP (Cape Henlopen State Park) in DE.

I fished for tautog first at the ocean side of the inner wall. The water was stained and I had a hard time to stay on some holes due to the wind. When I replaced one of the Mirage Drive chains broke off that time, I was cold and I gave up the ocean side for tautog fishing.

On the way back to the launch for more cloths (windy and expecting rain), I hooked a chopper bluefish.
    After that I fished for tautog on the bayside of the inner wall. There I caught 4 tautog. Only one was a legal size @15.25”.
    When I saw 3-4 large seagulls picked up large baitfish (spot or herring), I headed back to the shore and trolled for chopper bluefish in 3-4’ of water. There I caught 2 more chopper bluefish. There I broke the rudder pin on Outback (Hobie kayak) by hitting something underwater while a chopper bluefish was on. I thought the rudder pin had been damaged before and somehow it broke that time. Also that time one of the snap latch that hold mirage drive broke off. So I had hard time to pedal the Mirage drive. I made a big mess with two fishing lines by circling when I brought in the third chopper bluefish.

Because of the broken snap latch, I gave up fishing.

I went to Backyard Boats in Woodbridge this morning (May 12th). I picked up one of my Mirage drives that has been reconditioned. I had the snap latch replaced on my Outback (Hobie kayak) also in few minutes. I paid $500 for reconditioning one of the drive (bunch of parts were replaced), 4 extra rudder pins, 3 extra drive chains, 1 idler cable for the drive. Even though I paid for the repairs/replacement parts for two Hobie kayaks, I am happy that I can go fishing in an unknown place tomorrow with all necessary replacement parts.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Well done Joe I was on my way into Lewes when it started raining and turned around and went to Delaware Paddlesports to pick some stuff I needed. I also carry spare parts for my drive, Chains cable and masts and the tools needed to install them. Sorry Joe but I bought the last rudder pins they had. We just need to carry spare part when you fish at lots in places in the middle of nowhere. It will save a fishing trip
    Last edited by Plastic Boat; 05-12-2017, 02:50 PM.
    Red Hobie outback
    Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,
      Only a few fished in the morning during the high tide. When I got back during the low tide in the afternoon, there was none fishing (none at the pier, none on the beach). I gave the first bluefish away in the morning. But I couldn't in the afternoon. So I brought 2 bluefish home. And I don't know what to do with them. They are packed with ice in a large cooler. I think I will bring them when I go fishing tomorrow. Hopefully someone take them tomorrow.

BTW, I had 5-6 hits to the Chartreuse only, not to the white. I am wondering if it had something to do with the stained water. Next time I will put two chartreuse.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-12-2017, 09:15 PM.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I see you changed out the treble hooks to singles. I do that also
        What depth plugs are you trolling?
        I was using 3" pet spoons and a short black steel leaders from Wal-Mart on my last trip with good success. The Blues kept cutting off the silver colored steel leaders at the upper swivel
        Red Hobie outback
        Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

That's quite a tangled mess of line for sure, haha!

So if you don't eat the blues yourself why do you keep them?
          Brian

Comment

Good to see there some blues still around. I went Sunday before last and trolled for 6 hours and got nothing. Did not see a fish caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Plastic Boat View Post
              I see you changed out the treble hooks to singles. I do that also
              What depth plugs are you trolling?
              I was using 3" pet spoons and a short black steel leaders from Wal-Mart on my last trip with good success. The Blues kept cutting off the silver colored steel leaders at the upper swivel
              I had a 5.5" chrome spoon (krocodile spoon #7) + a large treble hook, which was too heavy for the depth I was trolling. The depth of my crank-bait (6.5" + a large treble hook with rattle). Yes I removed hooks except the tail hook) is about 1-2'. I used #50 test mono leader. I don't think any bluefish can swallow this lure when they bite from behind.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-14-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X