Looking for the RIGHT water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the RIGHT water

I am getting ready to head out on my sailboat for a few week cruise. I usually take my dingy along since pulling my kayak voids the warranty (I really wish I had enough room for the kayak on deck but my boat is only 23 feet and it is a sailboat). My dingy is a 8' boat that I row so, very similar to a kayak.

I usually do around 30 nautical miles and then go into a harbor for the night. I try to get in before 5 so I miss the storms but, most nights, you really don't get them anyway.

This year I want to seriously do some fishing while I am out there. I am going to take more gear than I did in the past.

I usually visit places like Solomons Island, Smith Creek (near Point Lookout), the Coan River, Onancock, Deltaville, etc. I am not sure where I am going on this trip because I usually let the weather and the wind decide.

That being said, what do you look for in a good place to fish for stripers, trout, and drum in the Chesapeake? What water conditions, what type of cover, what about time and current? How would I find fish in the harbors I choose to anchor in? Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Smith Creek has a good redfish and speckled trout fishery- So does PLO- I would not discount Crisfield- great area to sail and has lots of protected as well as exposed waters-every year some big speckled trout and stripers come out of here...redfish should be there and there is the possibility of cobia
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
    X