Looking for advice on Kent Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on Kent Island

Just moved to Kent Island and live on Cox Creek. I've an avid kayak fisherman during the winter in Florida but new to this area. I have a Native Slayer pedal drive and would appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who would care to offer. Have never fished for rock fish or white perch before so I have a lot to learn. Also would love to find somebody to tag along with once in awhile since it's always best to avoid going out alone.

Check out Goodhands county launch which leads into Kent Narrows (http://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/MDP...PKintKeyID=234. You will need a Queen Anne Co. launch permit). It's an easy launch into Goodhands Creek where you can fish for white perch along the shoreline. Continuing out try the shoreline for Rockfish. Use perch pounders or any spinners for white perch. 3/8 oz. jigs with 3-4" plastics for Stripers. Be careful of wind strength and direction. Anything over 12 from the north or south can get hairy. I plan to try this area in a few weeks, will drop you a line. Good luck if you make it out before that.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Queen Anne's Co has quite a few launch ramps that put you into relatively sheltered waters, depending on wind direction. When you purchase your ramp permit, you will receive a brochure that shows where the launches are. Note that some of the areas listed are "landings" and may not have an easy access point for a heavier pedal-drive boat. When I use those spots, I leave the pedal drive at home and bring my lighter paddle kayak.

John mentioned Goodhands Creek launch. I enjoy trolling in shallow water using my Slayer Propel 10. I troll paddletails in depths of 3-6 ft. I have also trolled out of Cabin Creek, Little Creek, and Kent Narrows launches. Be forewarned that the current flow through the Narrows can be very strong.

You said that you live on Cox Creek. I have not fished there because of lack of launching opportunities, but suspect that you can find places that hold fish. Look for grassy shorelines, sod banks, downed trees, abandoned docks, rock piles, oyster bottoms, etc. You can troll in relatively constant depths like I do or work across drop off, holes, or lumps. The waters around Kent Island have a great deal of good habitat.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Scenes from Goodhands Creek...my favorite Kent Island launch:

D.jpg A.jpg A.jpg P1010268.jpg
        Attached Files
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the advice - I know where the Goodhands launch is located and it's only about 10 minutes from my so very easy access for me. By all means please drop me a line if you come over this way - would love to have a fishing partner. I'll let you know what I find if I get a chance to get out. I'm a fair weather fisherman so avoid going out if the conditions are not favorable. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions - greatly appreciated !!

Comment

I have a place on the water on Shipping Creek and can launch from the house. Fishing just opened yesterday and saw a few boats out but didn't make it out yet for sure this weekend though.
            Drive it like you stole it!
            2011 Hobie PA 14

Comment

Working...
            X