Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Contest

Quote Originally Posted by FishMoken View Post
    I will consider myself on the board. I got my new 7wt yesterday and went to the Potomac river today and got a 11" smallmouth. Nothing major just a blast to be back fishing with a fly rod again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congratulations! As far as I am concerned any fish on the Fly Rod is a successful day...or night!

eyedaddy

Very nice. I've only used the flies that came in the combo kit. I also haven't targeted anyplace besides the local community pond....I see I need to get some larger flies than what I have. The largest is a thumbnail sized popper....no large traditional flies. I've been holding off, because I'm afraid I'd want to start tying my own and the last thing my wife wants is for me to start another "hobby"😜
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    Very nice. I've only used the flies that came in the combo kit. I also haven't targeted anyplace besides the local community pond....I see I need to get some larger flies than what I have. The largest is a thumbnail sized popper....no large traditional flies. I've been holding off, because I'm afraid I'd want to start tying my own and the last thing my wife wants is for me to start another "hobby"😜
    That Popper you have is a "Beast" when it comes to Bluegill, White Perch and LM-Bass. Just remember Fly Tying is not a hobby...It's more of an addiction and the only known cure is fishing with your Flies hat you have tied.
    Free State Fly Fishers of Maryland meets in Davidsonville, MD at the Davidsonville Family Recreation Center the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30 pm starting in September with a guest speaker and they have free Fly tying class the first Saturday of the month at 10:am till noon also starting in September. I must say they have some of the best instructors you will find and they are members. This bunch of folks are the most helpful people you will ever meet. They tie everything from Trout all the way up to Stripers and anything else that swims. So come on out and check us out!

eyedaddy

Quote Originally Posted by eyedaddy View Post
    Free State Fly Fishers of Maryland meets in Davidsonville, MD at the Davidsonville Family Recreation Center the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30 pm starting in September with a guest speaker and they have free Fly tying class the first Saturday of the month at 10:am till noon also starting in September. I must say they have some of the best instructors you will find and they are members. This bunch of folks are the most helpful people you will ever meet. They tie everything from Trout all the way up to Stripers and anything else that swims. So come on out and check us out!

eyedaddy
    +1 on that.

They also sponsor trips both locally and distant for all kinds of fly fishing throughout the year. I believe there are nearly 30 trips on their schedule this year. The trips range from rainbow trout to stripers.

Recently, I led them on a white perch trip in the Severn.

Here is one of my favorite photos from that outing:

P1020853.jpg

A 10 inch white perch can really put a bend in a fly rod.

Here's one of many we caught that day.

P1010707.jpg

Here's the link to the club's website: http://fs-ff.com/
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    +1 on that.

They also sponsor trips both locally and distant for all kinds of fly fishing throughout the year. I believe there are nearly 30 trips on their schedule this year. The trips range from rainbow trout to stripers.

Recently, I led them on a white perch trip in the Severn.

Here is one of my favorite photos from that outing:

P1020853.jpg

A 10 inch white perch can really put a bend in a fly rod.

Here's one of many we caught that day.

P1010707.jpg

Here's the link to the club's website: http://fs-ff.com/
    Thanks. I will put that on my calendar and give the website a gander.
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    Thanks. I will put that on my calendar and give the website a gander.
    Thank you.

Here's a list of 2017's outings: http://fs-ff.com/index.php/club-outings-for-2017/

Note that some have already occurred, of course, and some to come have dates TBD. But it will give you an idea of the kinds of trips they take.
    Mark

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thank you.

Here's a list of 2017's outings: http://fs-ff.com/index.php/club-outings-for-2017/

Note that some have already occurred, of course, and some to come have dates TBD. But it will give you an idea of the kinds of trips they take.
    Mark I'm in (pending family approval) for the FSFF event on 29th at Brunswick to hit the hatch. Floated Brunswick to POR on Sunday and eager to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookmonter View Post
    Mark I'm in (pending family approval) for the FSFF event on 29th at Brunswick to hit the hatch. Floated Brunswick to POR on Sunday and eager to go back.
    Excellent.

We'll be wading that afternoon and evening.

I assume you did well on Sunday?
    Mark

Available on Amazon.com

My entry for smallest sunfish on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMarino View Post
    My entry for smallest sunfish on the fly.

Good entry, Tom.

I think this is second place:

P1020608.jpg
    Mark

Available on Amazon.com