Blackwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackwater

Late notice but are there any takers for hunting some Snakeheads at Blackwater tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never been there. Let us know how you do.

Comment

Found Blackwater located at eastern shore. Wonder how did snakeheads get in there? They would have to cross the bay from Potomac River. Am I missing something here?

Donnie
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
        Found Blackwater located at eastern shore. Wonder how did snakeheads get in there? They would have to cross the bay from Potomac River. Am I missing something here?

Donnie
        That's a really good question. Either there's a Johnny Snakehead Seed running around or someone forgot to tell the fish about salt. I know they often surface to breathe air, and I've heard it explained that after a rain event the fresh water stays on the surface so they can move around that way. Maybe they went around the bay rather than across.

Comment

Delaware ponds have Snakehead populations.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            I've never been there. Let us know how you do.
            Well I had a pretty productive day once I found where they were. Caught 3 and missed about three and lost one.

Comment

Nicely done! I'm looking to make it down that way sometime soon, Blackwater is a gorgeous place to paddle.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Great job! Glad you found what you were looking for. It was a really nice day to be out.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

It was my first time there, I drove an hour and 50 minutes from Waldorf, Md. well worth the trip and rugbyfish is exactly right, gorgeous place to paddle ( and fish). I will go back another time. One sad note one of my BPS Carbonlite spinning rods broke on a cast. I was only casting a hollow body frog; couldn't believe it!

Comment

Hey RavensDefense how did you do yesterday!

Comment

We had a great day in VA. Low winds, clear water, and a fish or two....noting too crazy. Ill post a more detailed report of my spring adventures here soon. I'm still going through video and pictures. Thanks for asking.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Glad you guys had a good day out.

Comment

Nice! May I ask what lures you were using? I've yet to catch a snakehead!!

Donnie
                          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

To add to the info of what I was using, make sure you are moving the frog like you would s spook; constant jerks and reeling.

Comment

Awesome, I go by Blackwater region often as I fish Hooper Island for Speckled Trout/Spring Stripers On Honga River & Taylor's Island for White Perch/Drums. That region has to be my favorite place on eastern shore, I even travel 3 hours there from West VA. I used to live in Cambridge, MD, definitely miss all the fishing opportunities I had there with multiple different fish species. You can go from freshwater to saltwater fishing in summer time without driving to far. I did a fishing trip with a close friend who works for DNR at Blackwater Refuge Area, caught plenty of big black largemouth bass, but no luck on snakeheads.

Which ramp did you launch from?

Comment

Working...
                              X