Native Ultimate 12 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Ultimate 12 Review

Here’s a review of the Native Ultimate 12.

First a few stats:

Length: 12 feet, 1 inch.
    Width: 30 inches
    Weight: 49 pounds
    Capacity: 350 pounds
    Retail cost: $949

Here’s it is set up for fly fishing:

P1010545.jpg P1010547.jpg

I have owned this boat since April 2016 and I have taken it out at least 4 times as often as my Hobie Revo during the past 12 months. I still enjoy my Revo but I absolutely love the simplicity of the Ultimate. And most of all, I appreciate its light weight which allows me to transport it to and from my van and the water with ease.

You’ll notice in the photos above that the Ultimate looks a lot like a canoe. However, it has a unique hull design with a raised center channel on the floor that greatly aids its primary and secondary stability. I feel completely at ease in it and although it is rated for standing, I never do. That’s a personal angling choice, not because I cannot stand in it. Additionally, its sharp lines cut nicely through the water. It’s a fast kayak and it tracks beautifully.

The lawn-chair-style seat does not have a height adjustment. Note that on some Ultimate kayaks (the slightly larger and heavier FX version) the seat has a high/low position. However, I find the seat extremely comfortable as is. I can remain seated for 3 and 4 hour sessions with no discomfort. That was not always the case.

The Ultimate comes standard with small rectangular plastic blocks for foot pads. The blocks accommodate the balls of your feet but give your heels no support. The pads are adjustable with numerous discrete settings and I easily found the appropriate distance for my 33-inch inseam. However, I experienced some lower back discomfort until I replaced the standard foot pads with full foot pads offered as an option by Native. The optional pads support my entire foot and that has made a world of difference in my comfort. Hard to believe but true…

Another standard feature of the Ultimate is two factory-installed anchor trollies, one on each side of the boat. Although I rarely use an anchor, the trollies are a nice addition and they came in handy when I recently fished in a double-digit gusting wind at Unicorn Lake.

I have purposely kept this boat “unrigged”. It has never been drilled. It has no fish finder. It has no permanent rod holders. The only rod holders I use are attached to my milk crate with Scotty mounts. I have added two paddle clips on the gear-track on the right gunnel. Each gunnel has a factory installed gear track. I use the paddle clips only when I fly fish. When I fish with conventional tackle, I keep the paddle in my lap as I cast and retrieve

The Ultimate has no scuppers. It is a single hulled boat and hence it is a light boat. Since it lacks scuppers, I do not use it in big water. I have indeed crossed the Severn in it in choppy water. I was not at all concerned even when I took water over the bow. I know from experience by paddling the 14-foot version of the Ultimate in FL that it can take on a lot of water and remain afloat. But I will not challenge the Ultimate 12 that way. It is my small water boat. I use it in creeks and ponds and it is the perfect boat in my mind for that application.

Although Native Ultimates are commonly used in FL, I see very few of them here. My friend John Rentch has one but I know of no other Chesapeake anglers who own one. That’s understandable with the heavy emphasis on trolling here in the Bay. It would be ill-suited for that outside of tidal creeks.

But if you’re looking for a calm water, lightweight, comfortable boat, I believe the Ultimate 12 will meet your needs.

Summary:

Pros
    Lightweight, easy to transport.
    Stable and fast
    Comfortable seating when equipped with full foot pads
    Large deck area

Cons
    No scuppers
    Not suited for big water

Ultimate 2.jpg Ultimate 5.jpg
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I would like to second Mark's comments on the Ultimate. I bought mine last August. If it wasn't for trolling for Rockfish, I would probably sell my Slayer 10. I have paddled the Ultimate 6+ miles several times and have not suffered at all. Great kayak for this area.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I love the review–, You and John look very comfortable in those boats. No matter the boat, I learn a lot by reading about all of the circumstances and paddling/ fishing philosophies. Thank you for taking the time.
      Harlan

Revo 13
      Trident 13
      Cuda 14
      Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by harlanbud View Post
        I love the review–, You and John look very comfortable in those boats. No matter the boat, I learn a lot by reading about all of the circumstances and paddling/ fishing philosophies. Thank you for taking the time.
        Harlan,

Thank you. I appreciate your thoughts.

I hope others submit reviews of their boats.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice write up Mark.

I have been eyeing an Ultimate for a while now, but have yet to be able to justify buying one to myself. I am thinking about mooring my Pampano at Rocky Gorge next year, maybe that will give me the excuse I need to pick up a paddle yak for other bodies of water.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
            Nice write up Mark.

I have been eyeing an Ultimate for a while now, but have yet to be able to justify buying one to myself. I am thinking about mooring my Pampano at Rocky Gorge next year, maybe that will give me the excuse I need to pick up a paddle yak for other bodies of water.
            Definitely check it out. I think it's a hidden gem among angling kayaks. If you ever want a test paddle let me know.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks, I might take you up on that this summer. I am a fidgety guy and one of my favorite things about the Slayer 10 is how easy it is to move around and stretch. The comfort difference between it and my Pompano is insane, mostly due to the lawn chair seat. I can only imagine that the Ultimate, with both the amazing seat and an being a big open space, would be even better in that regard.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Drew,

The deck space is nice as you can see from this photo:

P1010566.jpg

Plenty of room to stretch.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Two observations;

1: I had no idea that the hull channel (is that the right term?) was so pronounced. I see how it would be stable enough to stand in now.
                  2: That is the fattest pickerel I have ever seen. Like, it has a beer gut. It's like looking at a fat greyhound. A pretty plump pickerel, if you please.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I could not believe how light it was when I picked it up the one day I meet up with you. Definetly a great choice for the waters you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Drew,

The deck space is nice as you can see from this photo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21427[/ATTACH]

Plenty of room to stretch.
                      All I see is the fattest pickerel ever! hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                        All I see is the fattest pickerel ever! hahaha
                        I think it was pending motherhood. I hope I didn't disrupt that.

Smithville Lake in March.

But I must admit that when I'm fishing smaller waters I do not miss a Mirage Drive taking up so much space on my deck.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                          Two observations;

1: I had no idea that the hull channel (is that the right term?) was so pronounced. I see how it would be stable enough to stand in now.
                          2: That is the fattest pickerel I have ever seen. Like, it has a beer gut. It's like looking at a fat greyhound. A pretty plump pickerel, if you please.
                          I called it a channel. I don't know the correct term. It's kind of an inverse/convex "channel". I believe it enhances both stability and tracking.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I saw a guy with an Ultimate at Cape Henlopen this week, he caught two blues right next to the pier, bottom fishing.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

If any Snaggedline members are interested in getting their own Ultimate 12 boats, there is a limited opportunity to get one at a fabulous price. I visited the Delaware Cabelas store this afternoon and checked out the two Native kayaks they have on display (Slayer Propel 10 and Ultimate 12). I was really surprised to see the sales price on a brand new Ultimate 12 -- $712 plus no tax. That is not a whole lot more than the dealer's cost on that model. They had two of them in stock. I don't know if other Cabelas stores have similar discounts on that model.

I asked the salesman why it was offered at such a low price (the normal retail price is about $950). He said that Cabelas will no longer carry that particular model. This price applies to existing inventory.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X