X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We REALLY stay on the move
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Gotcha. Well with my paddle yak, I won't be quite as mobile (can't cast/paddle at the same time). But 90% of the fishing I do is trolling anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        Gotcha. Well with my paddle yak, I won't be quite as mobile (can't cast/paddle at the same time). But 90% of the fishing I do is trolling anyway.
        You will be fine with your paddle yak. I honestly leave my anchor at home. You will stay on the move so you will want to pack the yak as light as possible. The stripers are caught in every way possible. The problem is the Blues dominate and get to baits first. As Metroman mentioned there are some deep areas but there is a lot of shallow areas as well. We have caught a lot of fish in a foot or two of water and also water 20feet deep. A great tip is to be ready at any time to change tactics.

Comment

Some pictures of years past.

IMG_6053.jpg IMG_6051.jpg IMG_6055.jpg IMG_6057.jpg IMG_6058.jpg IMG_6059.jpg IMG_6060.jpg IMG_6061.jpg IMG_6056.jpg IMG_6062.jpg
          Jim

Hobie Outback
          TKAA member
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
            You will be fine with your paddle yak. I honestly leave my anchor at home. You will stay on the move so you will want to pack the yak as light as possible. The stripers are caught in every way possible. The problem is the Blues dominate and get to baits first. As Metroman mentioned there are some deep areas but there is a lot of shallow areas as well. We have caught a lot of fish in a foot or two of water and also water 20feet deep. A great tip is to be ready at any time to change tactics.
            Thank you all for the advice. Another reason why this forum is the best.

Comment

I don't suppose any of you paddle-yakkers have pics of how you mounted your measuring tape (the one provided by the tournament)? I think the paddle is out, since I will obv be using that all the time, and it might get rubbed off too easily, and be too difficult to hold a fish up to it and take a picture simultaneously. I'm trying to get some ideas, right now I'm thinking I will stick it to a 2x8 and run a few layers of packing tape, or clear coat over it. That way it wont get rubbed too bad from fish being laid over top of it for photos.

Comment

Put it on your paddle. Its fine

Comment

I have seen a few guys anchor around channel edges / confluence points and try to chunk bunker. I am sure they catch but I am usually moving around too much to pay attention and I have never seen them hook up. During the tournament some of the prime areas can get some serious traffic and I imagine the tube and worm peddling dead would hook your anchor line or fishing lines. When the current is running it rips through some of those areas and you might have a hard time holding position on the mostly sand bottom. As the others said, I'd plan on trolling and drifting. There are fish all over that place and you don't need to try to follow people all over the bay.

In particular, don't try to keep up with Chimo unless you want to paddle to the radar pier, then a few miles off shore, then to the silver hole, then to mill, then back to the radar pier, then watch him slam tacos take like a 10 min nap and go back out all night.
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    I have seen a few guys anchor around channel edges / confluence points and try to chunk bunker. I am sure they catch but I am usually moving around too much to pay attention and I have never seen them hook up. During the tournament some of the prime areas can get some serious traffic and I imagine the tube and worm peddling dead would hook your anchor line or fishing lines. When the current is running it rips through some of those areas and you might have a hard time holding position on the mostly sand bottom. As the others said, I'd plan on trolling and drifting. There are fish all over that place and you don't need to try to follow people all over the bay.

In particular, don't try to keep up with Chimo unless you want to paddle to the radar pier, then a few miles off shore, then to the silver hole, then to mill, then back to the radar pier, then watch him slam tacos take like a 10 min nap and go back out all night.
                    Actually just take a jet ski and a spare gas tank if you want to keep up with chimo.
                    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I'm getting there Sunday mid afternoon (woot!) with my son. Agree with Grilled, this is the slowest week, although admittedly, I don't remember much of Tuesday.
                      -Jimbo-

Comment

Plans just came together that will find me on J-Bay the afternoon of the 18th and most of the 19th. I won't be fishing in the tournament - just passing through on my way to my daughter's college graduation.

Will anyone be up there that early doing any pre-fishing? I would love to connect if that is the case
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Most of us will be there Tuesday night so we will be there. Good to hear you can make it. Congratulations on your daughter's graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                            Will anyone be up there that early doing any pre-fishing? I would love to connect if that is the case
                            Yep, several of us will be there. Just look for the MD license plates.
                            -Jimbo-

Comment

Ill be there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                              2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                              LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                                This will be my first year, and John (silasvirus) will be going too, but it's his second year. His father in law is attending as well, and is that offer for some tackle extended to other snaggedliners? I don't have any snag hooks right now, but I think I'm covered on the other stuff (unless you've got extra hogy tubes). I think I'm only bringing 1 of them, and some cheaper backups. I can't seem to find the hogy tubes in stores, only from cabelas.
                                Crossabay Bait and Tackle will have everything you need and they are right by the water. http://www.crossbayfishing.com
                                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                                X