May head to Point Lookout State Park next Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May head to Point Lookout State Park next Monday

Next week I start a nice stretch of days off.

With the rivers blown out by too much rain I am thinking of heading to Point Lookout State Park and launching the yak to do some saltwater and maybe some flyfishing.

What might be biting next week in that area? Any suggestions of what to fish for and with?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I have never fished that area though I have been through there before in my boat.

Thanks in advance!

This time of year you can expect rocks and perch. There is a chance of an early season speck or drum, but with the prolonged cool streak this week I wouldn't count on that. Like everyone else we are hostage to the wind. Early next week, for what it's worth, they are showing NW winds which makes the Potomac side of the Point fishable. If things are too windy or the wrong direction you can also fish the estuary (Lake Conley) for small stripers or perch. The inlet into the estuary is a good place to start and the take your pick of the shore left or right. If you can get out past the point there are some humps that sometimes hold fish but it can be a very bouncy ride in the kayak. If the winds are NW I'd also give Piney Point a shot as it will open up the Potomac side under the bridge. Lots of posts on lures in the last couple of weeks. Paddle tails or X-Raps for rocks, small spinners or crank baits for perch. Good luck to you if you make it down.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I love catching Schoolie Stripers. Usually I look for current movement, which means the mouth to Point Lookout State Park on one side of the tide or another.

The Northwest Wind can be dreadful in the Potomac River. My other hobbie has given me days of horrible conditions going Point Lookout or Smith Point to get back into the Potomac River from the Bay. In my previous sailboat, a Catalina 30, I experienced a full gale when rounding Smith Point. To describe the conditions as dreadful would be putting it mildly.

Which tide is preferred? Outgoing or incoming? I know with stripers you want movement so either side of ebb tide generates movement.

Thanks for all of that information, it is most helpful. Hopefully it is worth the 2 hour drive to get there. I suspect that it is a nice sheltered area to fish in different conditions.

Comment

PLO is a fishing area that covers a lot of water...I caught my biggest So. Maryland Redfish here three years ago- a released 33 inch fish...way back inside the Lake in 1 foot of water- thanks to a tip from our Snaggedline Park Ranger buddy.....The area consists of the Lake, the inlet and rip rap, Cornfield Harbor, the shoreline, the Potomac side of the Point and the main bay side with the fishing pier....huge area...and it takes a lot of fishing trips to pin point the areas that consistently hold fish and under what conditions, what tide phases,, winds, etc. It takes time on the water...good electronics and being observant...that said- there are fish there and if you get on them they will reward you-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-09-2017, 07:42 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm very curious about the area also. What about st Jerome creek? Looking for areas that are protected somewhat from wind.

Comment

Every year St. Jerome's Creek changes- the area near the inlet fills in and the channel is always changing- fished there last week on a very windy day and caught lots of school rockfish on XRap crankbaits...west winds, SW winds affect the area the least...but it can get bumpy- the water depth is shallow for the most part- near 8 feet deep in the deeper channels- most of the channels are 5-6 feet deep...last week I stayed wet from the spray and waves fighting the moving tide in the mouth of St. Jerome's Creek...if the fish had not been biting it would have been miserable...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Watching this thread as well. Have some time off next week, the wife is out of town, and considering taking camper/kayak to a campground on the bay. Looking for ideas.
              Native Slayer Propel 10
              Ranger 175C Sport Fisherman

Comment

Donmac:

What days are you off? I am free Monday and Tuesday if you are wanting to fish the area. Weather does look good.

I thought about getting a site at Point Lookout, MD but my camping gear is not at my house and it would be out of the way to grab it.

Comment

Not sure yet... I have some things I need to do on Mon, don't know about Tue yet (depends on how Mon goes) so cannot make plans yet ...
                  Native Slayer Propel 10
                  Ranger 175C Sport Fisherman

Comment

Perfect week off to join the Jamaica Bay kayak classic. todays last day to register. but its a drive.
                    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                    X