Trident ultra 4.3 (6 month review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident ultra 4.3 (6 month review)

With so many different kayaks, and water ways in Dalmarva I would like to see more kayak reviews on Snaggedline. I encourage others to post up a review of there kayaks pros, cons, and how it fists your fishing style. All this info could help new kayakers get some much needed info from local kayakers. I do push to demo a kayak but I understand this is not always a option so I hope this aids others down the road. Now on to my review....

The ultra series is a excellent big water kayak with the 4.3 being the smaller of the two I find it to be a great kayak for a multi purpose boat from lakes, rivers, to open water in the bay. The rocker of this kayak aids in turning as well as tracking in choppy conditions. The hull tracks well and is pontooned out a little but right under the seat to add stability. I believe ocean kayaks achieve the best balance of speed and stability. I've stood in this kayak to sight cast bass no issues. When on the bay I can maintain a consistent 3.5mph trolling speed with ease and have pushed up to 5.8mph chasing down a school of rockfish. The bow slices through waves and boat wakes. With the flaring of the bow it helps push water to the sides to keep the paddler dry. Forward of the cockpit there are two wells that collect water and channel it to the forward scuppers to help keep excess water out of the seating area. I've taken this kayak from the back bay of ocean city, the main bay by the bridge, lakes down in Montgomery county, on the Potomac and Monocay river and it has done well In all body's of water. Now onto the pros and cons

Pros
    -great paddling kayak
    -solid handles on all sides
    -rotating center hatch
    -front click seal hatch
    -stable in big water
    -transducer scupper
    -cockpit rod holders

Cons
    -needs better seat
    -paddle parks could be easer
    -center hatch is proud of hull

I have had a love hate relationship with this kayak over the past months and have addressed most of my issues....which I will get into now.

The seat is high back and screwed onto the kayak. I am not a huge fan of the high back seats and found it very stiff. I replaced the seat with the low end ocean kayak seat with the lower back and then added a foam stadium cushion under it. At a later date I plan to invest in another seat, but this is what I had at the time.

For the paddle park issues I just took a small section of pvc and ran some bungee across the bow similar to the tarpon series. I have found this to the best fix to quickly store the paddle while dealing with a fish.

At a later date I plan to order the New Zealand low profile hatch to the ultra, but for now the rotating hatch isn't a huge issue. This weekend I decided to cut out the hatch to make it more like the original tridents. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone as ocean kayaks tend to have some hull flex. So because of this I will be adding some foam blocks to add support under the foot wells so I can still stand and cast. Also in the cockpit I took some 99 cent flip flops and glued them into the recessed areas in the foot well to give me more of a flat surface to stand on.

Last but not least I used gorilla tape to per long the life of the hull of the kayak.

Later modifications will include the low profile hatch, a new seat, and a rudder. I put this kayak up for sale before because I was frustrated with some of the layout of the deck of this kayak, since addressing those issues I am ready to put this kayak to the test this season and see how I can make it better. A lot of this is nit picking, because trust me this is a AMAZING paddling kayak. Like I said before I hope this helps out future paddlers, or give some ideas to mod your own kayak. Any questions please ask. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Nice review! I've never owned an Ocean Kayak, but I believe they probably have some of the more underrated or maybe under appreciated hull designs in production. Probably because they dont advertise for the "stand and fish" market. If I ever go back to a paddle yak only, OK will get a serious look from me.

I'd really like to see more reviews as well, but unfortunately we'd only see yaks from Hobie Maybe I'll do one on my Cuda if I ever take it out again. The force is strong on the darkside.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 05-08-2017, 10:17 AM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Comment

Thank you for your review of the Trident.

I concur that I would like to see more reviews here from folks with actual experience fishing our waters.

How much does your boat weigh?

To me, low weight is a critical factor. If I cannot easily transport it, I will not use it.

I am learning that I enjoy paddling as much as pedaling. I have been looking at double hulled paddle boats with scuppers . I'd like one seaworthy for the Bay and as light as possible.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark the boat is listed at 67lbs. With cutting out the hatch and taking off the seat I'm probability down to 65. With the low profile hatch option I hope to be sub 65lbs

Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
          Mark the boat is listed at 67lbs. With cutting out the hatch and taking off the seat I'm probability down to 65. With the low profile hatch option I hope to be sub 65lbs

Thank you.

That's less than I anticipated.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Lol, Fishmoken sold me this kayak a few years back. Since then I’ve added 16” gear tracs in the cockpit and around the rear storage area. Scotty rod holders in front and a torqeedo ultralight.

I think I’m about to upgrade the seat as I can’t fish in this kayak for more than 5 hours without frying my back and butt.

Fishmoken, how in the heck did you stand in this kayak? Any tips to standing up would be great. Did you use a stand up strap?
            Native Titan Propel 12
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I got the password for my old account it’s still fishmoken. I never have really had any issues standing on any kayak other then my tarpon. I grew up riding skateboards, longboards and snowboarding so it came natural to me. All I can say is it takes a little getting use to but the ultra was very stable for me.

Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

I love the kayak review and the pics with descriptions of the modifications with explanations of why they were done.

My real reason for responding is to compliment you on your lawn, job well done sir I can't believe you have time to fish and get the grass that green. Or perhaps I just have cabin fever and that lawn looks so green compared to the snow and slush I have been looking at for months now. Here is to warmer days, greener lawns and tight lines.

Comment

Working...
                X