Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowrance Nautic Pro vs. Navionics.. ie: what am I getting and what is the difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance Nautic Pro vs. Navionics.. ie: what am I getting and what is the difference

Lowrance Nautic Pro vs. Navionics.. ie: what am I getting and what is the difference.

I am looking to upgrade my Lowrance Mark 4 FF/GPS... particularly for better Charts.
    (Mark 4 doesn't have upgradeable charts)

I am seeing the some models.. for example the Hook 4 that "looks" likes it comes with Navionics.
    and another model the Hook 5 (on sale good price) that has a larger screen which would be really nice...
    that comes with the Lowrance "Nautic Pro" charts. "Global chart upgrade options include Navionics +"
    Well I certainly don't think I need "Global".

So... my experience with Navionics is only looking at their website charts.. which is great.

Is the Lowrance Nautic Pro Charts (that come with the Hook 5)... the same as looking at Navionics charts on the website ?
    The detail of the maps. I looked at pictures on the internet but really couldn't find a good example comparison for the Lowrance charts that come with the Hook 5.

on a side note... I was able to get out for yellow perch fishing January and February.. which was fun. And my first time ever getting out in January and February... so it looks like I'll have a milestone this year of fishing every month of the year.
    March and April got out for striper fishing... 5 times total.. each time three fish... largest has been 24inches.

Thanks folks.

I have the hook 5 with the NV 16 chip. Really cannot tell that much difference for what I do with it.
    Lowrance chart

Navionics chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for you time posting those images Brian.
      Interesting that the Lowrance and the Navionics charts have different depths for the same places.

I wanted to jump back in here quickly to save people the typing...
      The Hook 5 that I was looking at for a good price didn't have Downscan imaging technology.. and didn't come with a transducer.
      since I am upgrading... I'll either wait to afford a Hook 5 larger screen and Downscan...

or be happy with the smaller screen and get the Hook 4 with Downscan and the Navionics card..
      The Hook 4's have been selling for about $279... the smaller screen won't kill me as I am used to the size
      with the Mark 4.

Thanks again Brian.

Comment

I have both the Navionics + and the Nautic insight HD East V16 cards. The main difference is with the Navionics paid subscriptions ($99) you can get daily updates if you want. The Nautic insight you can download community edits (free). Now from my experience since there are more users using the Navionics the updates are more current and more readily available for most areas. Example; I wanted the bathymetrics for my recent trip to Va Beach, the navionics were readily available and current while the Nautic insight were still the base NOAA ones as no one had charted the area and uploaded to the Community edits for the area. Around my area of the bay both are equal. The main difference is my Nautic Insight version is the 3D version for my Elite 7ti so I get really nice contour detail vs the Navionics +. Navionics does have a 3D version but it is more expensive than the Nautic Insight. I switch between using which of the two cards for my planned fishing dependent on areas I am fishing.

[QUOTE=brianisoutside;143441]I have the hook 5 with the NV 16 chip. Really cannot tell that much difference for what I do with it.
        Lowrance chart

I can. If you look at the detail between the two maps the lower Navionics one is more bathymetrically detailed and up to date. This is what I am talking about.
        Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-07-2017, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X