X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t. Marys Lake - land O small fish

Hit St. Marys Lake in St. Marys County today from about 7:30AM - 1:00PM
    Wind was a pain in the but, need to finish the "manual power pole" rig
    We threw everything we could along the shore, worked about 1/3 of the shore line.
    Had 3 main rods with buzz bait, soft frog, chatter, wacky worm.
    I finally gave up on "real fishing" and pulled out the 4'-6" UL spinning combo with a 1/8oz roadrunner and 3" twisty tail. managed 4 pickerel in the 8-12" range and one 10" LMB.

Thinking the larger fish number just are not in there.
    What this lake needs is Snakeheads

DSCN7559.jpg
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

I did some bank fishing there on...Wednesday I think? It was one of the super windy days last week. I did "ok" at best. Got a few small 12-14" bass in one of the sheltered coves and a few slightly nicer ones right on the riprap. The wind was blowing straight at the dam and I missed a ton of solid hits because I couldn't get the slack out of my line quick enough.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I have fished there in the past, did well with spinnerbaits and jigs. That lake should be in full spawn so you would have to search for beds to find the bigger fish
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Sorry your day wasn't more productive. The lake does have a plethora of smaller bass but larger ones are present. Usually I'll get at least one 16"+ pickerel in an outing and surprised how small yours were. My usual trip starts in 5-7' of water fishing the edges and most days I never make it to the bank. When bass aren't biting I'll put on a white Gulp minnow and go for the crappie.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the reply's and tips.
          The wind did make it hard, spend more than 50% of our effort trying to hold position while being blown around.
          We fished it like we fish a large pond, trying to stay ~20-30 yards off the shore and casting to the bank.
          Only saw a few bluegill beds, no bass on beds.
          I'll admit, I am not a reservoir fisherman, ponds and mountain rivers.

Slack
          Captian of the plastic Navy
          1 - Mad River Canoes
          1- Tarpon 120
          1- Redfish 10
          1- Coosa HD
          2- Cuda 12
          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
            Thanks for the reply's and tips.
            The wind did make it hard, spend more than 50% of our effort trying to hold position while being blown around.
            We fished it like we fish a large pond, trying to stay ~20-30 yards off the shore and casting to the bank.
            Only saw a few bluegill beds, no bass on beds.
            I'll admit, I am not a reservoir fisherman, ponds and mountain rivers.

Slack
            I think high wind and shoreline waves interrupt bedding fish in ponds and reservoirs. The situation should turn around greatly this coming week when the wind subsides. The full moon will encourage bedding too.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X