Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi I'm Hawg, and I live on the main stem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm Hawg, and I live on the main stem...

I've joined wind-a-holics anonymous because I'm going crazy when every time I want to fish this week there are 15+ mph winds on the main stem of the Bay. I was wondering if anyone else in this group has this problem and where they fish in these conditions? Are the rivers better? I live fairly close to the West, South, Severn, and Magothy Rivers. Please help. My family is worried about me.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

we hit the magothy this past saturday & sunday - nice sized perch, over a dozen cilantro ranch jalapeno fish tacos sunday evening, no complaints for this early in the season.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
      I've joined wind-a-holics anonymous because I'm going crazy when every time I want to fish this week there are 15+ mph winds on the main stem of the Bay. I was wondering if anyone else in this group has this problem and where they fish in these conditions? Are the rivers better? I live fairly close to the West, South, Severn, and Magothy Rivers. Please help. My family is worried about me.

We are in a nasty streak of windy days. My only realistic shot at trolling in the Severn was this morning. The wind was 11-13 knots from the E changing over to the SE. With low tide at 6:30 am, I was out by 7:15. I hugged the northern shoreline all the way to the mouth. Once I poked out into the bay, it was too rough. I turned and came back upriver with both wind and tide at my back. The conditions were definitely fishable, but like many other outings in the Severn this winter and spring, the fishing stunk. I avoided a skunk -- just barely -- by hauling in a 12" striper. The first week of May is supposed to offer great catching opportunities.

The point of this story is that wind direction is important in addition to wind speed. If you can find a land mass to shelter you from the wind, you can fish on a windy day. With white perch beginning to move into the shoreline shallow areas of the tidal creeks and ponds, you can get in your fishing fix by looking for perch.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X