No announcement yet.

Flag Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In retrospect if created this type of law would not only effect we the kayak fishers but hundreds if not thousands of recreational kayakers. Most of the kayak fishing community carry the necessary safety equipment, flags included but not so much for the recreational group who don't while traversing the bay and waterways. Although I would not like to see a mandatory law requiring one I can see the need outside of just our community.

Comment

Do I fly a flag? Yes - Visicarbon Pro

Should it be mandatory? No
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        I fly a flag every time I go out. I wear bright colors and use a yellow kayak. I do this because I have been hit by a boat, http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ghlight=parker. Of course, the day I was hit I was also in a yellow kayak, with a flag and wearing a hunter orange hoodie. The boater just was not looking. I could see him in the cabin looking over to his right at some of the other kayakers that I was fishing with. I also saw him coming and tried to get out of the way. I always emphasize that kayakers should take every safety measure to ensure a safe trip. The one thing that I have added to my safety equipment is an air horn. I use it to warn off boaters who are coming close.

However, I might have to draw the line at a law requiring a flag. I have been boating all my life. I keep my eyes glued to the water and area in the front of a boat. If a boater can't see a kayak, then what about a swimmer. Is there going to be a law that swimmers must tow a float with a flag. It is the boater's responsibility to keep a proper look out. That is the law. Some boaters use autopilots while boating on the bay. I have been chumming in my center console and had to move as a large yacht was coming dangerous close to our boat. This was most likely an auto pilot situation. What about duck hunters using a kayak. They may not want a flag above the kayak. In my days of boating, I have always seen kayaks, canoes and kids on floats. I encourage the use of flags. I have even changed out the Tek Light on top of my YakAttack flag for a brighter light, for those twilight or early morning outings. Safety, Safety, Safety, yes. I just can't agree with a law requiring flags.
        I've been hit too, and a flag wouldn't have helped. I was drifting along in a very calm section of the Potomac near DC, and was hit by a crew (row) type boat, piloted by 2 guys just getting a workout in I guess. Those boats by nature are a bit dangerous because as you row, you're looking backwards not forwards. I was looking away from them at the same time, but by some force of dumb luck, I happened to look upriver and see them approaching quickly. I shouted, that didn't matter, and I quickly backpaddled so they wouldn't hit me dead center. They still hit me about 2 feet from the front of my boat, and it jostled me pretty good and scared the crap out of them. Idiots. If I didn't look around when I did, they probably would've hit me dead center and messed up my boat, my body, or both. They were like "oh sorry didn't see you" and then asked how the fishing was. If it hadn't of been for the topless photo shoot I witnessed the next day, that 2 day affair would've been a complete waste. Like I said, a flag wouldn't have mattered, idk if an airhorn would've helped. It might've been louder than my shouting, but I don't think those boats can necessarily turn on a dime at the speed they were traveling. Another reminder to be as safe as you can, always be on the lookout, because not everyone's going to do the same.

Comment

I would think the law would be beneficial. Very similar to the requirements in some areas where they require you to run a flag on your Jeep or ATV when offroading.

I fish out of a kayak and a boat. There are times the glare off the water at sunrise or sunset makes seeing things a bear, including a full size boat. When your only a few feet above the water it's even worse.

I don't necessarily think it would stop all collisions though. There is a distinct difference in not paying attention and simply not being able to see a kayak.

I do have major issues with planer boards. They are very prevalent in the Chesapeake, not so much in Delaware. Without the flags many are all but impossible to see. We were fishing a few weeks ago during trophy season near Annapolis and even though you assumed everyone was running planers many took minutes of scanning to see and were all but invisible.
          1980 Something Old Town Canoe
          2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
          2015 Coosa HD
          2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
          2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I don't use a flag. It definitely doesn't hurt anything from a viability standpoint, but from a fishing perspective it's one more thing in the way. If somebody cannot see my boat the lack of a flag wasn't the deciding factor. My experience is that the operator is almost always not paying attention, and the only thing that might help is a loud air horn. If you want one get it, but an air horn attached to your vest would be more effective in my opinion.
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Kayak's are considered a vessel
              <")))>< ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ><(((">
              Capt. Frank Tuma
              www.DownTimeCharters.com
              Native Slayer Propel

Comment

Working...
              X