Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad season winding down?

IMG_0539-2.jpg

Two hours from shore at Fletcher's today with only two fish to show for the effort.
    One was a very good sized American Shad, the other a 10 inch Hickory or Herring.

The Carp were spawning rather actively, looked like bombs going off in the shallows.

Water condition were: stained with about 1 foot of visibility. The river was at 4.25 feet at the USGS gauge.
    The tide was running in strongly, the river level came up nearly 3 feet where I was standing during the time I was on the water. To the point where the ledge of rocks threatened to become an "island" due to the rising water.
    The pollen was brutal, leaving a scummy foam on the surface of the river, and my lungs as well. Real bad allergy season!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bignose; 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM.

I had a similar experience this past Saturday. I've only been able to go a couple of times this season as I had knee surgery in mid-April. I'm hoping I'll be able to head down there one more time after the water clears up, but I'm afraid it might be too late. I'm just grateful I had one decent day there this year, shad fishing is one of my absolute favorites.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Word has it from Fletchers and NCC-TU that a final wave of American shad has showed up at Fletchers.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....723&id=preview
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
      X