Unicorn Lake, Millington, MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicorn Lake, Millington, MD

I hosted an outing today for the Free State Fly Fishers at Unicorn Lake in Millington, MD. I was joined by On the fly, (Harry) and four FSFF members.

Unfortunately we scheduled this event on a day with sustained double digit wind and gusts in the high 20s -- not the best conditions for fly fishing.

However, by working the western shoreline which provided some shelter from the pervasive wind and with judicious anchoring I found I could make
    decent casts, albeit in a limited area.

Aside from the wind the first thing I noticed about the pond (I don't know why MD calls it a lake) is that the vegetation on and under the water seems to be ahead of the calendar. Look at this mess at the launch:

P1020689.jpg

Harry later told me he saw water snakes in this muck. If he had seen them before our launch I would not have this report to share with you!

My first catch was this small pickerel. Obviously there also is a lot of vegetation under the water.

P1020691.jpg P1020692.jpg

I caught two more picks between 15 and 17 inches. And I got one at 21 inches:

P1020694.jpg

Each hit this 1/2 inch diameter foam popper with rubber legs and bucktail, a very simple and effective tie:

P1020707.jpg

It actually held up quite well after 5 pickerel hits. One pick got away.

I was using a 6 wt. rod with floating line and 12 pound mono for tippet on a bass leader.

Of course no visit to an Eastern Shore pond would be complete without at least one bluegill on a foam spider. I caught this one on my way back to the launch:

P1020711.jpg

I had a 5 wt. rod rigged with floating line and the spider to chase bluegills. But I cast it only a few times. I was really hoping for a bass so I threw the popper on the 6 wt. the most. No bass though. Like last year Unicorn must have a high pickerel to bass ratio.

Lastly, here are a few photos to show you the thick patches of spatterdock in Unicorn.

P1020708.jpg P1020710.jpg

Picks love this stuff. Cast a popper near it if you want to catch one and watch for the bow wave of water toward your fly before the surface explodes with a splash.

I've had more prolific catching days for sure. But I wanted folks here to know that the topwater bite is active in the ponds. I plan to take advantage of it often in the coming weeks.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I'm glad you had a successful trip despite the wind.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good job finding shelter from the wind and getting em on top!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Okay, glad you finally broke through on the catch- congrats!! Maybe things will,turn around from now on.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I lost two pickerel along with my poppers then switched over to wire leader on my 6wt and landed one.

The guys from DNR said the water snakes are all over the place this time of year so just watch where you put your hands around the dock, I guess mating season. They are non-venomous but that does not make me feel any better, I saw a couple large ones at the launch.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
            I lost two pickerel along with my poppers then switched over to wire leader on my 6wt and landed one.

The guys from DNR said the water snakes are all over the place this time of year so just watch where you put your hands around the dock, I guess mating season. They are non-venomous but that does not make me feel any better, I saw a couple large ones at the launch.
            Unicorn needs more bass to eat the snakes!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Looks like a lot of "Pickles" and salad.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                Looks like a lot of "Pickles" and salad.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

That looks like a fun place to fish. Also pretty funny seeing the pickerel with all those weeds wrapped around it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    That looks like a fun place to fish. Also pretty funny seeing the pickerel with all those weeds wrapped around it.
                    Tom,

Five or six FSFF members are headed back to Unicorn tomorrow morning. You and any others reading this who can attend are welcome to join us.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X