FiberFix Keel Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FiberFix Keel Guard

So I was at Home Depot and saw a product called FiberFlex. It supposedly bonds to everything and becomes tougher then woodpecker lips. So here's my thinking, Gorilla tape on the keel with FiberFlex on top of that. The FiberFlex never truly bonds with the kayak. This way when it wears out you just peal off the Gorilla tape, and start over. Thoughts???
    2017 Hobie PA14

your theory seems solid.

please post pictures when you do the install.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Actually I was hoping someone else would do it.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Seems like that would strictly rely on the bond between the gorilla tape and the hull. Try it on a 5 gallon bucket or anything made from HDPE. That should give you a good idea how it would work on a kayak. Use it with and without the tape.

Comment

Is this the item you are talking about? I was just thinking about doing the extra tuff gorilla tape down the keel of the boat and I like your idea of adding this on top. I know I've seen this product at my work. I'm going to check tomorrow, might have to pick some up and let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Yep that's it. It comes in a 2 and 4 inch width. So for something like Gorilla tape that is about 2 inches wide you could go with two strips side x side for the 4" fiberfix. I know a lot of people have been doing the Gorilla Tape (GT). However it still gets dinged up and you have to change it every year. With the fiberfix, I was thinking of laying down the GT then roughing it up a little with some 80-100 grit paper. This should allow the fiberfix to stick and adhere better.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

3 layers of Gorilla tape is all you need. I replace it 3 times per year. Cheap, quick and effective.

Some of that "fix" tape bonds using friction.... like shrink wrap.. it adheres to itself

Comment

I tried fiber fix on a non-marine solution and it did not last on a shovel handle more than 1 week.
                Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

This is the first that I've heard of use of gorilla tape on the haul. Is this application used to prevent damage when transporting a kayak at the launch/recovery point or overall haul protection while in the water? Please elaborate.
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                  Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                  Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                  Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                    This is the first that I've heard of use of gorilla tape on the haul. Is this application used to prevent damage when transporting a kayak at the launch/recovery point or overall haul protection while in the water? Please elaborate.
                    It protects the keel from a wide variety of places you might scrape it up, launch, recovery, putting on or taking off the car, moving about the garage, etc.
                    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

I looked at the fiberfix product and just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money so I ended up just doing the gorilla tape to try it out this year. There is a best by date on the fiberfix and anything as seen on tv usually has some durability issues. Just couldn't justify the added cost. I think it would take 3 boxes just to run the entire keel of the kayak.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Fishmoken, Looks good. How many layers did you put down?? My only concern is that something sharp can go through the tape and damage the hull.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                          Fishmoken, Looks good. How many layers did you put down?? My only concern is that something sharp can go through the tape and damage the hull.
                          I just started with one strip down the keel then placed one strip to the left and right of the original. So still only one layer thick. My main concern is only from dragging the kayak when I forget my cart. If I fished a river more where I would be running into rocks more often I may consider more layers.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by Egriger View Post
                            3 layers of Gorilla tape is all you need. I replace it 3 times per year. Cheap, quick and effective.

Some of that "fix" tape bonds using friction.... like shrink wrap.. it adheres to itself
                            Egriger,

When you replace the GT, do you find that it leaves behind a sticky mess on the hull? If so, do you reapply GT only once you have a clean slate (e.g. wiping the hull down with Goo Gone cleaner)?
                            -manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Okay different idea. Was in HD today and saw some grey shower liner. This is what you lay down in the shower before you tile over it. It's $6 for a 1'X5' section. So you can slice it however you want. I'll be doing it on my Outback tomorrow. I'll take pics and post.
                              2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                              X