Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FiberFix Keel Guard

I looked at the fiberfix product and just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra money so I ended up just doing the gorilla tape to try it out this year. There is a best by date on the fiberfix and anything as seen on tv usually has some durability issues. Just couldn't justify the added cost. I think it would take 3 boxes just to run the entire keel of the kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Fishmoken, Looks good. How many layers did you put down?? My only concern is that something sharp can go through the tape and damage the hull.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    Fishmoken, Looks good. How many layers did you put down?? My only concern is that something sharp can go through the tape and damage the hull.
    I just started with one strip down the keel then placed one strip to the left and right of the original. So still only one layer thick. My main concern is only from dragging the kayak when I forget my cart. If I fished a river more where I would be running into rocks more often I may consider more layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Quote Originally Posted by Egriger View Post
    3 layers of Gorilla tape is all you need. I replace it 3 times per year. Cheap, quick and effective.

Some of that "fix" tape bonds using friction.... like shrink wrap.. it adheres to itself
    Egriger,

When you replace the GT, do you find that it leaves behind a sticky mess on the hull? If so, do you reapply GT only once you have a clean slate (e.g. wiping the hull down with Goo Gone cleaner)?
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness System 130T

Okay different idea. Was in HD today and saw some grey shower liner. This is what you lay down in the shower before you tile over it. It's $6 for a 1'X5' section. So you can slice it however you want. I'll be doing it on my Outback tomorrow. I'll take pics and post.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I think some thin gauge aluminum or flashing sandwiched between layers of gorilla tape would protect the keel very well. I am going to try that on mine.
    2015 Hobie Outback

Has anyone every tried to just plastic weld a thicker piece of plastic on the keel? Then shape it to match the yak with a file?
    Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance Elite5, boonedox landing gear
    -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit
    -Orange Heritage featherlite