Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FiberFix Keel Guard

Default FiberFix Keel Guard

So I was at Home Depot and saw a product called FiberFlex. It supposedly bonds to everything and becomes tougher then woodpecker lips. So here's my thinking, Gorilla tape on the keel with FiberFlex on top of that. The FiberFlex never truly bonds with the kayak. This way when it wears out you just peal off the Gorilla tape, and start over. Thoughts???
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

your theory seems solid.

please post pictures when you do the install.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune ProAngler 14
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti & Lowrance Hook 9
    Minn Kota Endura C2 30lb Trolling Pro

Backup Babe: Sand/Dune Equinox Future Beach Angler 12
    Lownce Elite 5 HDI & Kerrow composite paddle

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Actually I was hoping someone else would do it.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Seems like that would strictly rely on the bond between the gorilla tape and the hull. Try it on a 5 gallon bucket or anything made from HDPE. That should give you a good idea how it would work on a kayak. Use it with and without the tape.

Is this the item you are talking about? I was just thinking about doing the extra tuff gorilla tape down the keel of the boat and I like your idea of adding this on top. I know I've seen this product at my work. I'm going to check tomorrow, might have to pick some up and let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Yep that's it. It comes in a 2 and 4 inch width. So for something like Gorilla tape that is about 2 inches wide you could go with two strips side x side for the 4" fiberfix. I know a lot of people have been doing the Gorilla Tape (GT). However it still gets dinged up and you have to change it every year. With the fiberfix, I was thinking of laying down the GT then roughing it up a little with some 80-100 grit paper. This should allow the fiberfix to stick and adhere better.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

3 layers of Gorilla tape is all you need. I replace it 3 times per year. Cheap, quick and effective.

Some of that "fix" tape bonds using friction.... like shrink wrap.. it adheres to itself

I tried fiber fix on a non-marine solution and it did not last on a shovel handle more than 1 week.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

This is the first that I've heard of use of gorilla tape on the haul. Is this application used to prevent damage when transporting a kayak at the launch/recovery point or overall haul protection while in the water? Please elaborate.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Outback

Quote Originally Posted by ski357 View Post
    This is the first that I've heard of use of gorilla tape on the haul. Is this application used to prevent damage when transporting a kayak at the launch/recovery point or overall haul protection while in the water? Please elaborate.
    It protects the keel from a wide variety of places you might scrape it up, launch, recovery, putting on or taking off the car, moving about the garage, etc.
    Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow