Anchor Trolley Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Trolley Recommendations

3rd season. Hooked. Tired of being blown around on Triadelphia and Rocky Gorge. Ready for an another trolley. Looking for suggestions for particular brands. Seen DIY types commending that it makes sense to buy parts at hardware stores. Thoughts?

I made my own. Works amazing. I will get pics for you tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ordered the Yak Gear deluxe off Amazon - it's served me very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'd recommend just buying one of the retail sets. It's hard to screw those up.

If you're set on making your own (you might save $10 or $15) then just be sure to use SS hardware. There's really nothing to it.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I made my first one myself for the Ugly Duckling ...for Lady Luck I used a YakAttack Trolley- both work well...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I am also about to install an anchor trolley, but I cannot decide what side of the yak to put it on. My yak is a Slayer Propel, so on my left side I already have the rudder control. Because I am left handed, I have my crate set so that the rod holders are on the right hand side, so I am clear to cast overhead. My thought was to mount the anchor on the left side as I already have to hand off my rod to my right hand to make adjustments while fighting a fish. I would prefer both to be on my right, but I cannot get my arm into the hull well enough to want to tackle trying to swap the rudder control, so I figure that I am better off keeping all the controls and gack on the same side. When I eventually add a fish finder/sonar that I will mount the screen on the right side, so even more reason to leave that side free of clutter.

Is there a "standard" side to install an anchor trolley on?

EDIT: Thinking about it again, I think I want the anchor on the opposite side from my casting hand, to reduce the chance of a fish wrapping itself around my anchor line. That seem reasonable?
              Last edited by bunnielab; 04-30-2017, 11:33 AM.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                I am also about to install an anchor trolley, but I cannot decide what side of the yak to put it on. My yak is a Slayer Propel, so on my left side I already have the rudder control. Because I am left handed, I have my crate set so that the rod holders are on the right hand side, so I am clear to cast overhead. My thought was to mount the anchor on the left side as I already have to hand off my rod to my right hand to make adjustments while fighting a fish. I would prefer both to be on my right, but I cannot get my arm into the hull well enough to want to tackle trying to swap the rudder control, so I figure that I am better off keeping all the controls and gack on the same side. When I eventually add a fish finder/sonar that I will mount the screen on the right side, so even more reason to leave that side free of clutter.

Is there a "standard" side to install an anchor trolley on?

EDIT: Thinking about it again, I think I want the anchor on the opposite side from my casting hand, to reduce the chance of a fish wrapping itself around my anchor line. That seem reasonable?
                You're edit is the thing to consider. You shouldn't be fidgeting with the anchor much, so once its set your good. Just be sure the mounting screws don't feet in the way of your rudder line

Comment

On the Ugly Duckling I have the anchor trolley on the right side...on Lady Luck the left- just doesn't much matter...I usually have the anchor line all the way to the bow and when I use my stake out pole it is the same story...fished recently with the anchor line at the stern...worked OK...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Buy a kit or make one..

my addition to this topic is that on mine (homemade) I use pulleys on both ends.
                    ... I use bungie (elastic cord) at one end from the eyelet to the pulley, to keep the cord snug.

After the first couple of years I added a cam cleat (expensive at $30 at West Marine) to my hull for quick release and holding the line.
                    I used to just wrap the line around a snap link at the same location. The cam cleat does come in very handy at times.
                    If I am in windy conditions.. tide current.. etc.. and I often snag or tangle lines catching fish... I can drop the anchor quickly and run it through the cam. You probably don't need the cam... a zig zag cleat probably work just as well.. or use the snap link like I did in the beginning.

I use a 10pound anchor, found the smaller one wouldn't hold.

Probably good idea to put a float on the end of the line..

There is a method.. using zip ties.. to make your anchor "break-away".. something like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X